custom exhaust for a VQ35, diameter suggestions?

Justin517

I'm exploring a supercharger upgrade for my '98 and there are several factors to consider. Luckily, the VG33E came supercharged on the '02-'04 Xterra so OEM hardware modification is a possibility. I've also been exploring an all-out swap, simply dropping a VG33ER into my rig to makes things easier (It would also make beefing up the R50 VG33E a lot easier.)

Hood modification is a must unless you consider a subframe drop. My plan is to install the SFD but not install the engine mounts to raise it up, therefore giving me additional clearance without cutting up the hood. For this to work, I will need to lower the transmission, which may benefit the drivetrain in the end as this won't put the driveshaft at such an angle.

An exhaust system will be necessary so I'm planning a 2.25" with 2.5" out. :jig:

why not consider a VQ? I know that with mods the S/C VG33 would be a bit more horsepower but what kind of longjevity will you really get out of a blower, especially if you are using a smaller pulley.

But then again, the VQ isnt a bolt in ordeal, is it?

why not consider a VQ? I know that with mods the S/C VG33 would be a bit more horsepower but what kind of longjevity will you really get out of a blower, especially if you are using a smaller pulley.

But then again, the VQ isnt a bolt in ordeal, is it?

You said it all right there. With the VG33ER it's similar enough to pose any mounting problems. A VQ swap was considered but then I researched a turbo diesel (JDM R50 engine from '97-'99 was the QD32ETI). But after factoring in cost, shipping, etc., I can spend about half on a VG33ER swap and put the rest towards air lockers and body work.

As for s/c longevity, I don't imagine it'll be all that bad... :scratchhead:

A pulley upgrade would be wise I assume.

What I meant is that since the engine is lower the tranny/tcase will have to be lower, but you will have to do something to fix the levers inside of the truck since they will then have a longer arc to make each selection...

Right you are, Lax. :aok:

And that I'm still trying to figure out. Worst comes to worst I'll just have to build a custom hood! :jig:

If you want to supercharge a 3.5 I think the best thing to go for is a centrifugal type supercharger. The 350z and g35 and Pathfinder share the same belt pattern on the engine so the supercharger would actually bolt up and the belts would route completely fine. The only problems you would run into is route the air lines, engine management, and fuel. If you could figure that out it would work.

img-118-1-xlarge.jpg

If you want to supercharge a 3.5 I think the best thing to go for is a centrifugal type supercharger. The 350z and g35 and Pathfinder share the same belt pattern on the engine so the supercharger would actually bolt up and the belts would route completely fine. The only problems you would run into is route the air lines, engine management, and fuel. If you could figure that out it would work.

img-118-1-xlarge.jpg

yeah, I looked into that, and its considerably more $$ than it would be for me to buy a $600-$800 turbo (or 2 smaller turbos) and a couple hundred dollars worth of stainless tubing/flanges and fab it all up myself... we would be talking half the price once its all said and done, especially if I would have to work out my own tuning for the supercharger. But i think I will look into contacting vortech to see how much just their mounting/drive system would cost... if they will even provide it seperately.