31's or 32's?

ronin152

Dean was what I said right? 265/75/16 would be a 32/10.50/16 correct?

That depends on the tire manufacturer. Not all tires are created equally. Technically, 265/75R16 is this:

width=265mm / 25.4mm/inch = 10.43in

diameter= (10.43in x 0.75 sidewall height aspect ratio x 2 sidewalls per diameter) + 16" rim = 31.645" diameter

So, a 265/75R16 is a 31.645x10.43R16. Close enough to 32x10.50R16.

That's about the same diameter as a 32x11.50R15 tire, but a little skinnier.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to bother you Dean. Just to clarify what is the max backspacing that would work with 265/75/16 tires?

I'm not 100% sure, but if I had to make an educated guess, I would say that if you are wanting a 16x7 then the max backspacing would be 4.25". If you want a 16x8, then go with 4".

Edited by XPLORx4

Ok thank you! Friken 4wheelparts has been sold out of all their wheels forever so I will try to find anothe 4.0 BS wheels. If not I am just going to try to run my risk with the 4.25 and see if it fits. tekagtr got his to fit with 4.75 and that picture I posted had stock wheels so I think I should be ok with 4.25. Thank you.

Getting ready to purchase my tires. Can't decide between the 2 sizes oddly enough a 265/70/16 (31) is around 205 for a bfg AT and a 265/75/16 (32) is about 190. So my question is do you get that much of a decrease in gas mileage / rubbing / power / wear on steering parts with the 32's? Which would you guys reccomend?

if you have stock wheels you would need spacers to run 32" tires, or they would probably rub on the strut. My 31"s are close and also rub at full lock, w/o a lift.

Tekazgtr. I am still not understanding how your tires fit? Dean says that 4.25 is the max bs you could run. You have 4.75 so how the heck do yours fit?

I'm not 100% sure, but if I had to make an educated guess, I would say that...

If you want the honest truth, your safest bet would be to discuss fitment details with the store that you will buy your wheels and tires from.

Well that is actually my problem. There really aren't any places around here to get the wheels from except "offroad" stores and I don't want to pay all the money they want so I have to order off line....... Thats why I am trying to figure this all out. Sorry I am not trying to annoy you guys. Its just so frustrating to get wheels and tires. 4wheelparts is rediculous and does not carry any wheels so its hard for me to find some. Dean do you recommend Al or steel wheels?

Well that is actually my problem. There really aren't any places around here to get the wheels from except "offroad" stores and I don't want to pay all the money they want so I have to order off line....... Thats why I am trying to figure this all out. Sorry I am not trying to annoy you guys. Its just so frustrating to get wheels and tires. 4wheelparts is rediculous and does not carry any wheels so its hard for me to find some. Dean do you recommend Al or steel wheels?

Wow, where do you live? Don't any local tire stores also sell wheels? (I mean, where do folks who want custom wheels for sedans and compact cars buy them?)

I would recommend whichever wheels are made in the size you want and have the appearance you're looking for and are priced within your budget. If that means they're aluminum, then so be it. If steel, then so be it. That being said, aluminum wheels are usually lighter than steel, which saves on unsprung weight and rotating mass. That means you'll have better handling and acceleration.

Edited by XPLORx4

Wow, where do you live? Don't any local tire stores also sell wheels? (I mean, where do folks who want custom wheels for sedans and compact cars buy them?)

I would recommend whichever wheels are made in the size you want and have the appearance you're looking for and are priced within your budget. If that means they're aluminum, then so be it. If steel, then so be it. That being said, aluminum wheels are usually lighter than steel, which saves on unsprung weight and rotating mass. That means you'll have better handling and acceleration.

To be honest many places have the tuner wheels you are speaking of. But not many places have Truck wheels in stock. There are many places that are more than willing to order them for me but there is no place that actually has some in stock to test fit on my vehicle. Currently the Pro Comp 8069's I am looking at are on a 4 month backorder! Hey I was reading some of your threads, whatever happened with the TJM run AC was doing in 2006. Did those people ever get bumpers?

Tekazgtr. I am still not understanding how your tires fit? Dean says that 4.25 is the max bs you could run. You have 4.75 so how the heck do yours fit?

I guess I should have been clearer on this backspacing thing. I'm only quoting the figures given to me by the guy who ordered my wheels for me. He said they were 4.75" backspacing but then again he also ordered the wrong wheels... :lol:

I asked for the Pro Comp RC51's and when they arrived they were clearly not Pro Comp wheels. So he may have been mistaken with the backspacing.

What I do know is this: they're AR 767 wheels, 16x8 with adequate backspacing to not result in them coming in to contact with the struts. :aok:

I meant just as far as loosing power. You didn't have any power loss with your 3.3 and the 32s?

If there is a loss in power, it must be minimal at best. I've driven my friend's '98 LE with 4.3's and stock tires and it feels pretty much the same as mine with the 32's... :shrug: