Rattling Sound

Guest sean

Hi, have a very annoying problem with my 8 month old 2004 Pathfinder.

I'm not sure when the problem started, it may have been after a checkup at a local mr. lub, here's the problem:

Whenever i give it gas at low speed, before the truck has warmed up, there is a loud rattling sound coming from under the engine. I have no idea what it is. After the engine has warmed up, the noise leaves. I've looked under, and couldn't find anything loose that might rattle like that. Anybody else ever had this problem?

Another thing: does anobody know a good place online that sells back bumpers?

Thank You

Sean

your ratteling problem sounds indicative a broken exhaust manifold bolts ...

to find out for sure ... open up the hood of your vehicle when it is cold, start it up, and run your hand above below and around the manifolds from the side(s) the noise appears to be coming from ... you should feel exhaust coming out if it is indeed leaking ...

your ratteling problem sounds indicative a broken exhaust manifold bolts ...

to find out for sure ... open up the hood of your vehicle when it is cold, start it up, and run your hand above below and around the manifolds from the side(s) the noise appears to be coming from ... you should feel exhaust coming out if it is indeed leaking ...

I didn't think that was a problem on the '04's. Is it a ticking or a metallic rattling (like a heat shield or something)?

Its definitely a mettalic rattling sound

weird thing is the sound only appears when in drive, if i give it gas in park, there's no sound. as well, its only when i'm going slow and the engine is cool

thanks

sean

If its an exhaust heat sheild and only does it in drive, you could try a little risky approach and have a friend inside with it in drive and the e brake on, and holding the brakes, etc. so you can poke you head under and listen for where it comes from. And/or climb under with the truck off and try tapping and banging on the exhaust from the engine back to try and locate the offending shield. There should probably be several along the length of the exhaust. Just bend it or remove it to kill the rattle.