think front hubs are locking

icemanauto

First thanks everyone for all help. This is my first 4x4 , I have had hot rods and sport compacts, but always wanted something that could go in bad weather and not care if it gets a dent. I bought a 87 pathfinder 3.0 and thanks to this site and everyone have got it almost where I want her. Having a strange thing going on that don't know what it is and have looked all over the site. When I drove it one morning I took off and it sounds like the autolock huds try to engage, by this I mean it makes a loud sound from the front and the first time I stopped and it jecked a couple of times I looked and saw nothing got back in and everything normal. took off nothing this morning it did it again. only does it when it's 15 degrees and the first time it was 10. Is it the autolock hubs? Also where I live it's a long dirt road to my house, so after the first time on a rainy day I put in 4 low gave her hell and everything worked perfect. Thanks again

Hard to specifically diagnose stuff like that on the net. Have you tried jacking it up and spinning the wheel? The CV shaft shouldn't move when you spin the wheel, if it does then the hub is locked in. The cold "might" be causing things to litteraly freeze up on you. If you pull the hub body off (the 6 allen screws) and check the hub make sure it isn't wet or rusted in there. Give it only a light amount of grease if you grease it.

Second GrimGreg.

If not some ideas that poped in my head:

1) Could be the calipers moving some.

2) Also worn swaybar bushings/ not tighened properly can also make a noise.

3) Worn control arm bushing(s).

4) Worn/loose shock bushings upper or lower.

Both can make a similar sound and come from the same general area as the hubs.

On the bushings, it may just be the cold temps combined with age.

If you back up out of a driveway and then go forward you shift these parts back then forward...so anythign worn or improperly tightened can make some noise from the weight shift.

Just a few ideas.

Just a thought... I remember reading in my pathfinder owners manual when its really cold, below freezing that you should drive in 4wd for the first 5 -10 minutes or so to warm up the front gear oil. Im guessing to prevent wear.

Thanks again everyone if it's not to cold this weekend going to pull off the hub and check it out. It is going to get 8 tonight and the same Friday night. If I find out anything I'll post it, as for bushings it is not that it almost sounds gears plus I'll ckeck them too. hope it is a easy fix like to keep the autolock hubs. Also I thought you are not to drive in 4 wheel drive on dry payment?

First thanks everyone for all help. This is my first 4x4 , I have had hot rods and sport compacts, but always wanted something that could go in bad weather and not care if it gets a dent. I bought a 87 pathfinder 3.0 and thanks to this site and everyone have got it almost where I want her. Having a strange thing going on that don't know what it is and have looked all over the site. When I drove it one morning I took off and it sounds like the autolock huds try to engage, by this I mean it makes a loud sound from the front and the first time I stopped and it jecked a couple of times I looked and saw nothing got back in and everything normal. took off nothing this morning it did it again. only does it when it's 15 degrees and the first time it was 10. Is it the autolock hubs? Also where I live it's a long dirt road to my house, so after the first time on a rainy day I put in 4 low gave her hell and everything worked perfect. Thanks again

Your not alone....On cold mornings I have experienced a loud whirring sound followed by a loud, releasing bang! sound. From my perspective, it does sound like the hubs are locking up and all hells' breakin' loose, but no damage! I've greased my hubs a couple o' times so I don't think it's neglect. However, this phenomena only happens maybe once every few months for me.