2001 With just about every problem

Sunny

So i have a 2001 LE 3.5 with almost every problem that could go wrong on a pathfinder.

So here i will make a little list and hopefully you guys can help me in my quest to make it call work again?

Death wobble @ FWY speeds aswell as driving down the street at 40 - Mechanics try to tell me its tranny, diff, rack and pinion aswell as ball joint oh and my left nut.

Ive already replaced 4 shocks Brand new tires alignment

6 CD changer not working ERR2

Volume knob, when turned to the right it goes down or wont respond at all

Passenger Right Rear window will not roll down when i try to roll down all 4. I have to wait and roll it down by itself i cannot roll down others while i do it.

Car shuts off when i pull up to lights and stay their for about 20 seconds or more.

Left turn signal wont work when running sometimes. but will work when actually turning left and only sometimes when running.

Truck will not go past 4k RPMS. Yes i have to keep it under 4krpms. If i try to go past i will hear lots of motor and i wont really gain any speed. I added fluid did absolutely nothing.

When i press the gas, say i push it half way, you will hear a loud thud noise like the tires just gripped quickly. From the rear.

Clock does not work.

So please enlighten me somehow, someway and guide me so i can restore my pathloser.

Edited by Sunny

control arm bushings will fix the death wobble. Its not the tranny or diff.

Radio, you're screwed but thats a common problem. Get aftermarket

windows, try replacing your master switches on the drivers door.

the turn signal problem can be a bad stalk on the steering column

engine problems, sounds like a bad mass air flow sensor which could also be why it shuts off at lights

check the fuse for the clock. or the clock unit could just be dead. replace that.

How many miles on this?

any service engine soon lights?

Around 120k Miles.

And the Service engine light has probably been on for 80k miles now :P

Yes we drove the living crap out of it.

I took it to arizona and back for vacation with friends with the Death wobble. Nothin like going 100 on the 10fwy with 2 girls in the back screaming. Fun times.

I guess 1 guy said Catalyic Converter. Didnt tell me which one though. Ill see what mechanic says now. After that i will check my funds, if i cant do anything i will sell it.

Edited by Sunny

Yes it was a grand sight when we first bought it to. We went to Universal Nissan. My mom told the guy she wants top of the line. He says ok we have this this, she says no i want the highest.

He makes some calls and asks "2wd or 4wd?" She said 2 DOH!!!!

Anyways they didnt have one and neither did anyone else.

He calls up the factory and they said yes we have only 1

We went to go see it, basically in a big bubble with plastic all over it.

Ever bought a car so new that their are litterly 0 miles on it.

No one has ever driven it or moved it was ridiculus.

She spent something around the means of 47 i believe.

For 7 years that truck has been driven through lots of states and actually went to florida to washington and back to cali and texas and lots of places.

I have a 1995 with 125k miles im only beating her by a thousand or two. And when i bought my car it had LESS then my pathfinder.

Dont complain to me lol It wasent my truck. As soon as i bought the thing its been from mechanic to mechanic getting some TLC.

I try to do whatever i can on it, but i luv my 3000GT and the money has to go to that to keep it pristine and collectible before the pathy.

Oh and i drove the truck thru a lake.

Heres another story for ya guys.

On the way back from vacation with friends in Arizona. Their was a Semi that flipped over on the 10fwy and another one crashed into it. So the whole FWY is backed up for a few hours. Me and my friends brother decide to take the trucks on the muddy trails and god its so much fun.

And behold their was a lake. My buddy in his tacoma 4x4 drives through it first no problem. Then i go through and i was doin great to. so were parked taking some pictures and the car wouldnt turn on! Doh!!! So here i am thinking i fried the alternator or something 10 mins later after some laughs, cigarettes, pictures and cussing the pathfinder turned on. We did soem more mudding and then bypassed the whole accident going on the trails good times. It delayed our arrival home by 3 hours but was so worth it. Plus who else can say they got to sit on a lawnchair in the middle of the 10 fwy with a cigarette in their hand and talk to a bunch of people just kickin it waitin for the semi to be moved.

Edited by Sunny

It was still your moms truck, shoulda stayed on top of that a little, heck my mom keeps up with her car(which as you said about the 0miles deal, was her second 08 in the begining of 07, it was hers when it was no more than a shell and a vin plate) just so she DON'T have to hear my mouth when I see her.

I wouldn't buy a car from anyone, including my Mom, if I knew the service history was that poor. If the CEL has been on for 80k miles some of the initial problems may even have been covered by warranty.

When I was looking at Pathfinders I found one '97. It looked really good, test drove it with my brother who was a Nissan Service Advisor and it drove very nice, no noticeable problems other than obviously warped rotors. Took it in for an inspection (the Service Manager introduced my brother to his wife, he's certainly trusted) and there was almost $5000 worth of work that needed to be done. Both CV shafts, suspension all around, brakes all around, the list goes on.

Point is you're a little boned. Any truck that has not been serviced regularly, i.e. driven into the ground will most likely cost you more to fix than it would to just buy another used vehicle. I'd suggest a lot of good research and trying to find cheap deals!

So i have a 2001 LE 3.5 with almost every problem that could go wrong on a pathfinder.

So here i will make a little list and hopefully you guys can help me in my quest to make it call work again?

Death wobble @ FWY speeds aswell as driving down the street at 40 - Mechanics try to tell me its tranny, diff, rack and pinion aswell as ball joint oh and my left nut.

Ive already replaced 4 shocks Brand new tires alignment

As has already been said, it's your rear lower control arm bushings. I would recommend replacing all of the suspension bushings, as well as the steering rack bushings.

6 CD changer not working ERR2

Volume knob, when turned to the right it goes down or wont respond at all

Since it's an LE, it's got the Bose Stereo. Those are problematic, and very common to fail. Just buy an aftermarket unit to replace it, you'll be happier in the long run.

Passenger Right Rear window will not roll down when i try to roll down all 4. I have to wait and roll it down by itself i cannot roll down others while i do it.

As said before, could be the master switches on the drivers door.

Car shuts off when i pull up to lights and stay their for about 20 seconds or more.

This could be due to a number of things. Get the codes pulled and post all of the MIL Codes for us, we'll be able to help you further. e.g. IACV valve, MAF sensor, TPS, just to name a few...

Truck will not go past 4k RPMS. Yes i have to keep it under 4krpms. If i try to go past i will hear lots of motor and i wont really gain any speed. I added fluid did absolutely nothing.

Was the truck doing this before you went through the lake and killed the engine? Sounds like you ruined a MAF.

When i press the gas, say i push it half way, you will hear a loud thud noise like the tires just gripped quickly. From the rear.

This could also be due to your control arm bushings. Replacing those will tighten up the entire vehicle. Also, it could be the u-joints on your driveshaft.

Clock does not work.

So please enlighten me somehow, someway and guide me so i can restore my pathloser.

Fuse, or clock....or the wires came unplugged.

The car would not go past 4keven before I drove through the river

I called up the mechanic who told me it was the shocks and basically told him I want my truck back. So once I bring it back home I'll order some parts

I was wondering if I could somehow ghetto rig my sisters old scion xb headunit into the path lots of audio guys said it could not be done tho

Is their any place that will sell exhausts systems for my le? Or maybe a fake cat or hghflow? Then again their are like 4 huh?

Step #1 - you HAVE TO get all the codes scanned to find out what the OBDII issues are. There is no guesswork involved, just take it to Autozone or some similar place. They will scan the codes for free and usually give you a printout of what the codes are.

Step #2 - fix all the broken stuff.

The death wobble is for sure caused by the lower control arm bushings. The complete arms, with the bushings already installed are just over $100 at the Nissan dealer. Replace them in an afternoon in your own driveway or garage.

My 2 cents.

SteveM.

The car would not go past 4keven before I drove through the river

I called up the mechanic who told me it was the shocks and basically told him I want my truck back. So once I bring it back home I'll order some parts

I was wondering if I could somehow ghetto rig my sisters old scion xb headunit into the path lots of audio guys said it could not be done tho

Is their any place that will sell exhausts systems for my le? Or maybe a fake cat or hghflow? Then again their are like 4 huh?

It sounds like it's in Limp Mode due to one of the numerous problems that is triggering the MIL Indicator. Have the DTCs read and let us know what they are. We can't really help you any further than what we already have without knowing the codes. It's also possible, however unlikey, that since the truck was abused so badly, and neglected so severely, that the timing chain has stretched and there's too much slack which is throwing off the timing...

But yeah, definitely get it out of that shop.

Another idea for ya. Some Nissan dealers will offer a free 100-point inspection that includes scanning codes, they'll also give you an estimate on how much it would cost to have them fix it - but you can do it yourself a lot cheaper if you're mechanically inclined. If your local dealer offers this service, you can bring it in and have them tell you everything that's wrong with it, then you can know exactly what needs fixed.

I just replaced my lowers a couple of weeks ago with factory units. The entire arm with both bushings already installed was $107 per side. Unless you have your own press, and a lathe to turn a tool to press out the bushings, it's tough to beat a brand new bolt-in unit for $107.

Another warning for this job is that the rear bolts (attaching the arms to the axle bracket) were completely siezed on mine (and many others). The nuts came off the bolts just fine, but the bolts were rusted to the I.D. of the steel sleeves. I ended up having to cut the heads off both bolts with a grinder, cutting the remaining length off the threaded side, and prying the bracket slightly apart to get the old arms out. I had already purchased new bolts to replace the old ones.

The job isn't too bad if you are prepared for it. If you are not prepared to cut bolts, replace them, press the bushings in and out (try to only work on 1 side at a time), then you will be in for a long weekend.

SteveM.

Wow, you treat vehicles like my brother (he just caused my parents a 1300 brake job). That poor pathy. No offense but the check engine light on for 80k? Hell it still had a good chunk of the warranty! This isn't a chev where the CEL is on all the time.

Anyways not trying to be harsh, but damn, that's a lot of problems. But it shouldn't cost that much if you do it yourself :aok:

Ok first off the truck was not mine. Second you wouldn't know how I treat my cars third the reason it was on was because of a sensor which was replaced but the light stated on because it needed to be flashed and it would come back. Also it's in way better condtin now from when I bought it.

Okay, I think he's been scolded enough.

nissandoms47 & vengeful gave you some good advice... so I would look into those things. And as Vengeful mentioned, get the codes scanned...