5th gear noise...WTF?

MY1PATH

Ok, 700 miles from home, the drive to cali was fine. parked for a few days and today when I got on the highway 5th gear was loud. 5th has always made a differant sound but now there is allot of gear noise in the cab only in 5th. I checked the shifer boot to see if sound was leaking arround it and then I pulled the shifter and topped off the oil. I did 5.1L of redline mt90 not too long ago and I thought maybe the synthetic was too thin and slowly leaked... nope, it is very full. I'm gonna have to drive it back north no-matter what, so I guess if its warning of a pobem I'm gonna be forced to encounter it. So now I'm wondering WTF is the problem... any ideas?

the facts:

tranny is 4 years old

Oil level is not low

viscocity is correct

shift boot does not seem to be leaking the exessive noise

4 year old tranny? How many miles on it? New/rebuilt or what?

Could it be something like a failing U joint putting load on the tranny, making 5th gear sound louder?

Where in Cali are you (I have a tranny)

B

complete package package rebuild from japan,

I think I've put 20-25k on it since it was replaced.

right now I'm in morraga but I will be driving up to mendocino today.

Dad says the mechanic told him, when he replaced it, that low rpms in high gears is what wore out the old one and "made all the gears loud"

I did let the rpms get as low as 1800 b4 downshifting in the hills @ grants pass on the way down but that was 500 miles ago.

it didn't start untill I got in and drove yesterday.

Dad says the mechanic told him, when he replaced it, that low rpms in high gears is what wore out the old one and "made all the gears loud"

I'd pretty much downshift at 2000-2200 rpm in 4 and 5th gear, felt like it was lugging a bit. Still, 25k miles on a rebuild should be nothing. No way should it go out already. :shrug:

Hey, if you are going to Mendo up 101, you should stop by my place on the way by. I'm about 5 miles off the freeway in Santa Rosa (easy to get to) and I'll be home by 4pm. Let me know if you are interested, even if it is just to say 'hi' for 5 minutes and I'll PM you my address and phone #s.

B

PS I got :beer::D

Edited by Precise1

Hey, if you are going to Mendo up 101, you should stop by my place on the way by. I'm about 5 miles off the freeway in Santa Rosa (easy to get to) and I'll be home by 4pm. Let me know if you are interested, even if it is just to say 'hi' for 5 minutes and I'll PM you my address and phone #s.

B

PS I got :beer::D

PM sent, were gonna hit the road soon

I got back to washington last night, no major issues.

I had the chance to meet B, good guy!, while I was in cali. We talked about the probem and looked under the vehicle.

we found lots of oil on the frontside of everying. something was leaking pretty bad. At first we thought it was the overflill of my tranny leaking from my shifter(I hadn't sealed it) but I checked my engine oil @ my inlaws and it was low.After my first Qt I thought ok, so i burn oil now... and the 2nd I thought i blew a seal. the noise also went away;

I'm thinking maybe when the oil gets below a certain level it magnifies the noise of 5th gear(the overdive box is in the front of the tranny right?) DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE?

well roughly 700miles and another 3 more qts of oil later I'm back in washington. I notieced in spits of higer rpm(35-43k rpm) and higer engine temps (needle 1/2 way vs 1/4) it leaked a little faster.

GAS mileage averaged about 18.5 most the way w/ 2 ppl a dog and a bunch of luggage & holliday gifts, so I guess the only issue would be finding the leak. I read somthing on here about rear-main seals... Is that it? I'm clueless as to whats involved. I'm gonna poke arround in a fewa days for other possible leak llocations; pan-seal, preassure sensor, relo-kit.... anyd insight would be appreciated.

that sounds like it'd be a RMS if its leaking between the engine and tranny...its a lot of work for a little seal...mine is starting to get as bad as yours in my 95...but not quite there about 1 qt per oil change

It hasn't leaked noticably in town, I think 1-2 hrs @ 4,000 RPM made it go so fast

Edited by MY1PATH

:wtf:

Am I missing something or is that stupid? I could see too low of an RPM being hard on the engine making it lug.

Your note of the oil rate leaking faster with higher engine temp makes sense, oil gets thinner when it gets hotter in this case. I am concerned your temp gauge moved that much, you musta been more than a quart low at some point to have the temp go that high?

So was the noise actually from the trans or was it from the engine and you could simply hear it better in 5th when the RPMs were lower so less noise from engine revs?

I recommend you change your oil now. Hard to say if the oil was over stressed from heat (not too likely) on this trip, but I wouldn't chance it for the cost if it were my rig.

A RMS is hard to do on most engines. If it leaks oil into your clutch in can wrech that too (it will start slipping and could wreck the clutch assembly and flywheel. Hopefully it is not getting into your bellhousing - had that happen on my old Chevy.

my 95 has been pissing oil from the RMS sense it was installed almost 3 years ago (i think that retainer spring fell off or something)...its just now getting to the point that its a bad leak and luckly i havent gotten any oil on the clutch yet

changing the seal itself is easy...its getting to it thats the "hard" part and its really not hard its just a lot of work and you need the tools/manpower to do it but it can be done with one person...just takes a lot of ingenuity, cussing and muscle fatigue...the thing with the pathy is you can't really get under the tranny and hold it in place with 1 hand while you start some bolts (this is what I did on the 02 SS camaro that I changed the clutch on by myself...crawled under the car put the tranny on my chest and got it in place with one arm nad started bolts with the other) I'm not near a big enough boy to heave this nissan tranny around and probably would struggle with that camaro one now

I had the chance to meet B, good guy!, while I was in cali. We talked about the probem and looked under the vehicle.

we found lots of oil on the frontside of everying. something was leaking pretty bad. At first we thought it was the overflill of my tranny leaking from my shifter(I hadn't sealed it) but I checked my engine oil @ my inlaws and it was low

Good to meet you too Bud!! I'm just sorry that I had just come home from work, you were on your way and that we didn't have a little more time to hang out or find the problem.

that sounds like it'd be a RMS if its leaking between the engine and tranny...

IIFC, you have a manual tranny. If you were dumping that much oil out of the RMS, your clutch would not work correctly if at all. I'd bet on that.

Check the valve covers (prob not the issue, just good luck) and the oil filter relocation system. It still seems odd, the even oil spray back; it is hard to tell since it is everywhere. If it was me, I'd wipe/wash down everything as best I could, go for a 5 mile drive and see if I could track it to its source. It's got to be obvious when everything isn't dripping... :shrug:

B

Am I missing something or is that stupid? I could see too low of an RPM being hard on the engine making it lug.
AGREED! I can't make sense of how that would work against the tranny, My response to him was; "what killed the tranny was not knowing about the TSB and leaving it underfilled for 190K"
I am concerned your temp gauge moved that much, you musta been more than a quart low at some point to have the temp go that high?
not extreme at all, temps running just under half durng the day and about 1/4 @ night and many miles futher north where the nights are even colder. I mean comon, it only moved a quarter if not less
So was the noise actually from the trans or was it from the engine and you could simply hear it better in 5th when the RPMs were lower so less noise from engine revs?

it was from the tranny, only 5th gear @ any rpm. It may have beeen a fluke but it got quieter when I added oil to the engine. maybe a full oil pan absorbs noise/vibration from the tranny.

I recommend you change your oil now. Hard to say if the oil was over stressed from heat (not too likely) on this trip, but I wouldn't chance it for the cost if it were my rig.

Its actually due for one, I think I'm going to use a "high mileage"oil designed for old seals to slow it untill I find the leak.

thanks for the input yall

Edited by MY1PATH

I don't know how long you've been running synthetic but have know cars with higher mileage to start leaking after the switch from dino oil to synthetics.

actally I run conventional(dino?) or blended in my engine. I don't run pure synthetics in the engine for the very reason you said above. It also makes the dipstick easier to read lol

ok so I actually have several leaks and most of them only happen @ high RPMs or after everything gets hot. I been parking on white sheets to locate them.

the biggest one, I think, was my OIL PS sensor... It was tight but the oil was comming thru the sensor itself and filling my starter, pouring into the bottom of the bell and driping out where the cluch slave cyl is. Hopefully this starter lasts untill I do an engine swap.

there is a drop up front every other day that collects on a pointy part infront of the oil pan, fwd main seal? Oil pump? Cam seals?

lastly my t-case in 2 places; thru the side of the case where the halves are joined and a drop every so often from the output shaft.

for now I'm just gonna keep an eye on all my levels, contemplating if i should get 3.7 t-case gears if I'm gonna open it to re-seal it. I'm not gonna SAS or do crazy rock crawls so it may not be worth it?

I had thought about doing 4.10's and 3.7 t-case gears to have a lower low (trial) and a higer HI (MPG)... I guess I should start a new thread when I wanna know everyones opion on that one...

pouring into the bottom of the bell and driping out where the cluch slave cyl is.

Isn't the slave cyl high on the side? That may be leaking also...

there is a drop up front every other day that collects on a pointy part infront of the oil pan, fwd main seal? Oil pump? Cam seals?

You should be able to see if it is the FMS; mine is weeping slightly...

contemplating if i should get 3.7 t-case gears if I'm gonna open it to re-seal it. I'm not gonna SAS or do crazy rock crawls so it may not be worth it?

Unless you go with even larger tires or find a hell of a deal, probably not... :shrug:

B

Isn't the slave cyl high on the side? That may be leaking also...

bottom, center.

my cluch fluid is dirty(& full) the drips are clean.

Edited by MY1PATH