Why is the clutch so heavy, Gus?

Jetmugg

I've only been driving my recently purchased '97 Pathy for a few days, but one thing keeps coming to mind - why is the clutch pedal so heavy? I have driven 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups that did not have clutch pedals as stiff as this 3.3L / 5 speed combo.

I assume it's normal, as I haven't driven any other manual pathfinders.

Is it supposed to be so stiff?

SteveM.

Your clutch is worn. :sssh:

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's worn out, but the clutch gets stiffer as it gets older. I was amazed after I drove mine the very first time with a brand new clutch since it was so much lighter than before. I want to say that my OEM clutch with 115k miles on it was stiffer (pedal wise) than my new clutch that will handle 3x the torque.

If it really bothers you, replace the clutch but realize it won't be cheap if you pay a dealer to do it. If you can live with it, wait until it starts slipping or the throwout bearing makes noise to replace it.

I think this is really funny. The clutch pedal in my WD21 is soooo soft in comparison to the ACT in my Sentra that snaps cables every 6 months.

I can't tell whether you're trying to tell the guy who started this thread that he's a whiner or that your tuned Sentra is really cool (a really stiff cable operated clutch must mean it's fast???).

The clutch I just put behind my VH is good for 480 lb-ft and it drives better than stock. I really don't understand the obsession with a race clutch on a street car.

I can't tell whether you're trying to tell the guy who started this thread that he's a whiner or that your tuned Sentra is really cool (a really stiff cable operated clutch must mean it's fast???).

The clutch I just put behind my VH is good for 480 lb-ft and it drives better than stock. I really don't understand the obsession with a race clutch on a street car.

PWND!!! Nice one Tyler! :FartExplode-vi:

The clutch in this truck was recently replaced by the PO (work performed at a dealer). It's definitely not worn or near the end of its life

I suspect that the issue is as a previous poster commented, that the "fingers" on the stock Nissan pressure plate are just plain stiff. I can live with it, but it seems un-necessarily stiff for the power output of the engine. I have driven Ford F450 diesel trucks which have 600+ ft-lbs of torque, and they have lighter clutch pedals than this Pathfinder.

Perhaps the aftermarket pressure plates have re-designed fingers that actuate with less force than the stocker.

Just wondering out loud - it doesn't seem to be out of the ordinary.

SteveM

Agreed... I helped a friend put a OSGiken triple plate clutch in his otherwise stockzilla 180SX; I laughed at him and he had the yams to ask why.

Riceboys are a great source of entertainment! I'm with V on this one; PWND!!!

Observations is all. Difference of mentalities takes getting used to.

Not hard to have a clutch that will hold 480 lb ft on a V6/V8 size pressure plate though. Two obvious differences. 1. My Sentra has a cable clutch vs. hydraulic 2. Your V8 has a much larger clutch disk and plate vs. the 225mm in my Sentra. Do you really want to go into this? The Sentra 6 puck I have is rated at 414 tq, which is just about 3 times what the stock one was meant for. Yours...is roughly twice stock.

To my knowledge, the VH (at least not in the states, since it was only sold in the Q45) was never sold with anything other than an automatic, which means yours is already adapted to a different transmission. There by making your comment irrelevant, but since I like to dig.

http://www.4x4parts.com/ubbthreads/showfla...p?Number=582663

Since this is a relatively rare swap from what I've seen, this must be yours. A 480 lb clutch on a Z32 trans (251mm disk) drives pretty soft anyway, with a clutch with that torque spec. It appears you have your panties in a bunch over my Sentra though.

It helps if you keep in context where I'm coming from. I'm used to building a motor, and running whatever we have to...to put the power to the ground for a clutch. I've been working on 240SX and Sentra's for over a decade.

These vehicles are the complete opposite...very little power is needed to do most SUV things.

OP: Have you driven any other 5 spd Pathfinders to see if yours is more stiff than normal, or was it just a general observation of your vehicle? Has it degraded over time (pedal pressure increased over time)