Cooling the Engine Bay

Kittamaru

As the topic says... would introducing cooler, outside air into the engine bay help engine performance at all by cooling the air entering the airbox?

Just curious as I plan to do a snorkle at some point... and I know the cold air it takes in helps a bit.

Is there any reason to or not to do so? Only thing I can think of is water getting into the bay... would cold water hitting the outside of the block cause a problem?

One option is these bolt on or weld on hood louvers that this company makes...

http://raceace.com/

They look pretty good but they seem expensive for what you get. I've been trying to find a local company that will stamp louvers directly into my hood

You're right they do look way cool, but who in their right mind would spend that kind of spread on them. :crazy: Maybe at most $50 if I was feeling more impulsive than normal!

I don't see it being that hard to dubplicate this in some fashion for a fraction of the cost though.

if you want cheap louvers go to a jy and find an older car that has a metal grill in front of the windsheild (i used on from a datsun 610 car) trim them out leaving about 1/4 to 1/2 all the way around and weld them in your hood. i did that to my '54 willy's truck, made a hell of a difference.

2willys_and_parts_015-med.jpg

I don't think I trust them to be quality parts...

Why...?

From their Q&A

Q: What about water running through the louvers and onto my engine?

A: No problem. Water doesn't hurt your engine. After all, many car enthusiasts wash their engines many times each year. As explained in the directions, you don't want water to get on a distributor – but most vehicles built in the past 15 years don't have a distributor. If you do, and if it's a V8, the louvers will be outboard of that, so no problem. Also consider the alternator – but the louvers are usually far enough behind that not to matter. Otherwise the instructions provided explain how to make a rain diverter.

Buh?

I don't think I trust them to be quality parts...

Why...?

From their Q&A

Q: What about water running through the louvers and onto my engine?

A: No problem. Water doesn't hurt your engine. After all, many car enthusiasts wash their engines many times each year. As explained in the directions, you don't want water to get on a distributor – but most vehicles built in the past 15 years don't have a distributor. If you do, and if it's a V8, the louvers will be outboard of that, so no problem. Also consider the alternator – but the louvers are usually far enough behind that not to matter. Otherwise the instructions provided explain how to make a rain diverter.

Buh?

I would agree with that statement for the most part

You can always just use some washers to space out the hood hinges and lift it up in the rear. I remember some people doing this in the past and it helped with cooling while on trail runs, etc. You have to make a few adjustments to the hood latch but otherwise it's really easy to do.

You can always just use some washers to space out the hood hinges and lift it up in the rear. I remember some people doing this in the past and it helped with cooling while on trail runs, etc. You have to make a few adjustments to the hood latch but otherwise it's really easy to do.

Fiew of my friends do that with their muscle cars(actual 60's and 70's ones) works great for them. I got plans personally of doeing some hood hacking. Mor efor a little visual but with the bonus of keepin it a little cooler between the fenders.