'95 Pathy in snow, I'm giving up...

prginocx

X2 on the coolant and blower but 190 thermo?

the oem is 170(IIRC) and nissan offers a 180 to boost your heater. unles its always below 20 there I'd think twice about running a 190 thermo on an engine designed for 170.

my heater has been working fine here but we haven't got too far below 20 yet and our short "cold winter" is about to end here.

Fair enough, didn't know the stock was 170 (which I think is almost too cool to run efficiently myself, but who am I to question Nissan). I run 190° in my Jimmy all year around without any issues. OEMs often pick one stat temp that will work for most customers. If you live in a cold climate, nothing wrong with a 190 for the winter. I think However, if the cooling system design is on the edge, it might be too much for the summer. Another option is to run stock temp and use grill covers (aka cold front kits).

My temp guage has always been near the bottom, except on the hottest days of summer when it approaches the center. I thought that was normal. In this cold weather, it takes about 10 min for it to move to the Normal position, which is about 1/8" from the bottom line.

I do have AC BTW.

Ok, I don't know 96s....but my '02's stock gauge always runs in the middle, all year long (and same goes for every other vechile I have owned - except when the stat weas not working). I'll bet you a coffee your stat is stuck. Same goes for audiwhore.

Edited by BowTied

Yep. try putting a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to warm up faster.

I have a set of Cooper Discoverer M+S on my 95. They are excellent tires.

The rubber is a softer compound that stays soft when cold.

They have "snow groovs", sipes, and little holes that you can screw studs into.

I have never used studs or chains, only got stuck once when I bashed into a 6ft

snow drift and got high centered.

I am in upstate NY and this past weekend we got lots of snow.

On the highway I was passing everyone at 50+ mph. Even big ass 4x4 trucks!

The side streets are to narrow for two cars to pass with the snowbanks

so I just roll it up on the bank and plow on by.

I am also form mankato mn and it has been extremely cold up there the past week and i have not had any problems with heating up my pathfinder its normally warm by the time i get to work (2 miles). Mine also just sticks to the road. I was passing alot of ppl and i was only in 2wd with about 4inch os snow on the road. In 4high that damn thing does not spin its tires way to much traction i love it i can go anywhere and mankato has alot of steep icy hills

Yep. try putting a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to warm up faster.

Don't use cardboard. When the outside temp gets warm all that snow/ice will cause the cardboard to get wet and nasty. It will fall apart over time which means a mess in the radiator fins.

Instead, go to Home Depot and get yourself a sheet of thin clear plastic. Cut to fit the radiator face and zip tie in place by drilling a few small holes in the sheet. Works great, can't see it, easy to remove and install, and won't turn to mush when wet.

Edited by audiwhore

My temp guage never moves from the 1/4 mark... no matter what the temperature (once it's warmed up that is)

Think I should check my 'stat?

Are you getting good heat? If yes, then you are likely ok. Between 1/4 and 1/2 is where I like to see them depending on the stat rating.

Are you getting good heat? If yes, then you are likely ok. Between 1/4 and 1/2 is where I like to see them depending on the stat rating.

Define... Good. It takes about half an hour to reach "hot"... but it gets lukewarm pretty quick *shrugs*. just barely enough to de-frost/de-fog the front windscreen when it's cold out.

I live in Colorado and often commute the 22 miles to Leadville (stupid cold) for work. After I cleaned out the fan its been toasty warm. As for traction in the snow for on road and a lot of dirt (now ice) tracks and general getting around I have a set of Hankook winter tires, $300 for the tires, $350 balanced tax disposal old tires etc. I can only say that I prefer this truck to my Tacoma in the snow, with about 500+ miles a week on the road for work, all high up, I keep it calm on the road and I have passed on average 3 spun off cars a day during the past 2 weeks.

Have you thought about an electric heater as a booster? just to get up to temperature. One thing I have tried while driving an old VW camper in the North of Norway is using camping stove to both heat water for tea and provide heat. Not a good idea.

Good luck. Im off to test the traction of my truck on a drive to Vail.

Define... Good. It takes about half an hour to reach "hot"... but it gets lukewarm pretty quick *shrugs*. just barely enough to de-frost/de-fog the front windscreen when it's cold out.

You should have hot air in about 3 miles of driving and should feel toasty warm within 10 minutes, maybe less, with the heat on full blast once the hot air starts. Now, if it is minus 30 out then it would take longer of course. If you are getting luke warm air, especially when driving on the highway vs. driving slower in town, your stat is likely stuck open. JMO.

Edited by BowTied

You should have hot air in about 3 miles of driving and should feel toasty warm within 10 minutes, maybe less, with the heat on full blast once the hot air starts. Now, if it is minus 30 out then it would take longer of course. If you are getting luke warm air, especially when driving on the highway vs. driving slower in town, your stat is likely stuck open. JMO.

Well... since my Stat is original factor stat (eg, 19 years old soon) yeah, perhaps it's time for a replacement :D

I see a 170 and a 180 degree stat... summers here can get upwards of 95+ and winters can drop below 0 at times... which should I go for?

the 170 is stock, I would used that. I had the same question in mind when I changed mine but once I decided on 170 and everything started working the way it should I knew I didn't really need the 180 for arround here.(similar conditions)

I see a 170 and a 180 degree stat... summers here can get upwards of 95+ and winters can drop below 0 at times... which should I go for?

Temps where i am range from -15 to 100 and I run a 190 all year round so I think a 180 would work well for you. If the 10 deg difference in those two stats makes any problems overheating I think your cooling system needed fixing anyway. ;)