windshield wipers poppin fuses?

Lyss

So my pathy's windshield wipers keep blowing fuses.

I have no idea what Im doing with any kind of wiring and I couldnt really find anything in the search for this one. It seems like everyones wipers wont stop, when mine wont even start. =/

Any idea what it could be?

I would say that either you have a short somewhere, or the motor is simply done. How long do they work for before the fuse pops, if they even work at all? My rear wiper did this when the motor finally died.

Definitely check your wiring and/or switch first....

Otherwise, it could be the motor, or possibly the wiper transmission is seizing, putting too much stress on the motor, causing the fuse to pop.

Edited by Simon

Yeah, they dont start at all. There are no noises, no actions, nothing. I hit the lever and its like its there for nothing.

:headwall:

I kinda figured I needed a new motor but ugh. I dont know like anything about wiring. Which is gonna kill me in about a week cause I wanna start working on the fog lights too, which also dont work. &the blinker assembly.

Not lookin forward to this. =[

Hey there Lyss. I'm pretty lousy with electrical myself, but sometimes there is no choice. This is what I would do...

Rig up a inline fuse (2 wires to a fuse of the same amperage. Buy a holder or rig it with tape)

Next, disconnect the power wire to the wiper motor (make sure to tape up the end so it doesn't ground out)

Next tap into a power 12 volt power source with 1 end of your fused power line. From the fuse box power source is good.

Apply the power wire to the wiper motor power (I don't know if it is a terminal, clip or what)

Put the key in the ignition and turn it to run.

The wipers may start working. If so, let it run for a moment just to make sure; the problem is in betwen the fuse box and the motor (check switch first and the wires for continuity (grounding out))

If theydont work, turn the key off and check your inline fuse. If it is blown, you have a bad motor, frozen/damaged linkage or something on that end. If it is not blown, check your connections and retry. The wipers should run or you should blow the fuse...

You will probably need a volt meter, automotive test light (12 volt) or make 1 by taping 2 wires to a 12 volt bulb (tail light or something). It seems like a good time to learn; there are plenty of on line sites that explain basic uses quite well and many here are very good electrically also. I'm sure they'll chime in...

B

I have a working motor if you want im parting out my old pathfinder since it wasnt worth fixing. Pm me if your interested. My main question is, is there anytihng else that runs off that fuse besides the wippers? maybe there is something eolse shorting it out. Like my freinds radio dome light and horn were all on one and is dome light was shorting it out. All he needed was a new bulb idk how that bulb caused the problem but that was it.

Edited by edicer2

Is that diagram the one in the Hayes book? It kinda looks like it. I just bought that book today =]

Rig up a inline fuse (2 wires to a fuse of the same amperage. Buy a holder or rig it with tape)

Next, disconnect the power wire to the wiper motor (make sure to tape up the end so it doesn't ground out)

Next tap into a power 12 volt power source with 1 end of your fused power line. From the fuse box power source is good.

Apply the power wire to the wiper motor power (I don't know if it is a terminal, clip or what)

Put the key in the ignition and turn it to run.

The wipers may start working. If so, let it run for a moment just to make sure; the problem is in betwen the fuse box and the motor (check switch first and the wires for continuity (grounding out))

If theydont work, turn the key off and check your inline fuse. If it is blown, you have a bad motor, frozen/damaged linkage or something on that end. If it is not blown, check your connections and retry. The wipers should run or you should blow the fuse...

My dad said to do pretty much that ^ like an hour ago, so im gonna go with your bet.

Thanks everyone, im gonna try and dabble around and Im sure when something blows up ill be back. haha.