Where are the American 4WD accessory makers?

Geoff57

I have been noticing that a lot of Australian made 4WD assessories are used and talked about in these forums.

ARB was started by Anthony Robert Brown back in the 70s. I used to compete against him when I was offroad racing

Old Man Emu (OME) was started by John Chapman also back in the 70s and I also used to compete against his OME racing team

I think the guy who started TJM still lives here in Brisbane.

I would have though with the vast number of 4WDs in the US there would be heaps of US accessory manufactures with some really good gear.

The Australian gear seems to be very popular though :scratchhead:

Geoff

WARN is a very well respected American offroad supplier.

I believe Mile Marker and Superwinch are also US based...but I could be wrong.

The reason many people use ARB etc. is they are the ones who make most of the accessories for Pathfinders.

Plus stuff made in Oz is just cool

Take, for example, the 00-04 Pathy in the US...look at the ARB winch bumper vs. the KMA winch bumper...no brainer...

ARB

pathfinder-arb-safari.jpg

KMA

WinPat9904_2_-502x374.jpg

The ARB looks gorgeous from every angle, the KMA just looks funny from some angles...

I would have though with the vast number of 4WDs in the US there would be heaps of US accessory manufactures with some really good gear.

The Australian gear seems to be very popular though

There are few aftermarket suppliers for the Pathys here in the US. The tendency is towards newer vehicles (still being sold) and the reality that most people who mod buy Toyota, Jeep or Dodge/Chevy. While there are a few companies who have addressed the US Nissan market, many don't see it as much of a market. It's kind of a catch 22; if they supplied the parts, many more people would buy the pathys and fix them up... :shrug:

We are working on it...

B

Search Yahoo USA for the terms Taco, CK, CJ and (to a smaller extent)Ranger... That's where the American builders are hiding.

It seems, until the release of the Titan, the US 4x4 aftermarket regarded Nissan as a step child. There really hasn't been a lot of support.

Calmini, along with a few other small manufacturers mentioned often on this board are noteworthy however.