full size spare on the gate cause rattles?

str8andnarrwpath

title says it all........but my real question is will replacing the bushings keep it from rattling. or will the weight from the full size spare not allow for the rattling to be silenced? do i have to live with it or does the experience of the npora find otherwise? :scratchhead:

i know this has probably been covered but my search was tough to find the answer i'm looking for. any help would help put my mind at ease.

-m

Just change out the bushings.

Doesn't cost a lot just takes some time and effort and a BFH......lol

Search the forums on how to's before to see if it something you think you can tackle.

Can do it in an afternoon with the right tools.

I was having the same issues. I used two rubber grommets off a motorcycle kick start lever and zip tied them to the bars on the carrier. On the very inside by the hinge when the carrier was open. It put enough pressure on them to silence the rattle besides over BIG bumps and that was still rarely.

I eventually took the carrier off and put the tire on the roof but I might go back to the carrier.

Mine has done the same for a couple years now, with a 31x10.5 15 tire mounted. There is noticable play in the bottom bushing and it rattles all the time. There are a few threads about replacing the bushing, and its apparently a bit of a beast to do, I just haven't gotten around. I got the bushings from the local Nissan stealer for like $4 though it took a few days to order, just gotta get around to swapping them. Good luck.

thanks for the reply's people

i'm hoping that the bushings in the hinge will fix the rattles.....not to concerned about how tough it'll be to do it. just dont want to commit time to something that wont fix the problem. guess if that doesn't work then it'll be relocate it to the roof? or does anybody have any experience with aftermarket rear bumper/carrier's? i have seen some nice looking "arb's" on some trucks.

-m

Make sure it is the bushing and not the body that is loose. The body is splitting apart on my 88 right by the bottom corner of the hatch opening. You can see the tail light move about 3/4" when you open the tire carrier. :blink: