Supercharged '89 Pathfinder Video!

Guest 89PathSE

Guest 89PathSE

Well.... here's my latest creation... Supercharged '89 Pathfinder VG30I. Everything is hand fabricated by me in person. It's an Eaton M90 Supercharger (90 cubic inches displacement)... and it runs on an L&P Performance moddified TBI unit and STOCK ECU!!! On a cool day without the air filter, it runs about a 7.2 second 0-60. The hood is still in fabrication, but you'll see a nicely finished cowl induction hood up top in a week or two. I also run open pacesetter headers, which you will hear in the video below. I had to put my old heads back on to drop my compression from ~11:1 (decked heads) back down to ~9:1... and I havent even BEGUN to mod this pair of heads yet. The engine boosts to about 15 psi, according to my speculation... A 3.8L Grand Prix GTP with a belt ratio of 1.87:1 does 8 psi stock... I have a belt ratio of about 2.1:1 on a 3.0L engine which should do about 14-15 psi. Boost guage coming soon. Also an MSD boost retard controller is in the works. The rest of the truck is a mostly stock '89 SE.... but it has the super-rare factory brush guard and roof lights. Click below to see pics and vids! Let me know what you think!!!

http://www.lpperformance.com/Pics%20and%20Vids.htm

Guest 89PathSE

Yes, definately. It would be a supply your own supercharger kit, however. (M90's are cheap and easy to find on Ebay) I am going to continue improving on mine for the time being until I am totaly satisfied with what I have to offer to the public. How many people would seriously spend 400-500 on a supercharger kit (after ALL costs) if we were to offer one?

Seems to me that 400 - 500 is a very reasonable price for a supercharger kit (even without supercharger included), especially if you can get the M90 cheap on ebay. Most kits that include the supercharger are at least 2K, and can go up to huge amounts. Too bad I have the VG33E... :wacko:

Is this something that could be adapted to the later model engines at some point? I have a 94. Would I be looking at having to upgrade injectors (if possible) and all that extra stuff? Otherwise, who wouldn't be up for that kind of power for that little price?! :cool2: :aok:

have you gotten it on the dyno yet? about howmuch more power are you getting out of it? and yes i would pay 400-500, pretty reasonable for a SC kit. oh like pickles said, will it work with the EFI 3.0s?

have you gotten it on the dyno yet? about howmuch more power are you getting out of it? and yes i would pay 400-500, pretty reasonable for a SC kit. oh like pickles said, will it work with the EFI 3.0s?

I believe you mean the MPFI's ... our vg30i's are injected too, only throttle body though ... you prolly knew that ... just clarifying for anybody else who may be tuning in.

My guess is the current "kit" he has is not adaptable to the 'E' class motors ... the intake plenums are entirely different on them ... I think in your guy's case, it would be easier to adapt a centrifugal type super charger, like the Powerdyne type, than it would be a roots type supercharger ...

as for changing injectors, from what I understand, with a 9.0:1 compression ratio, you can get away with running up to 9 lbs safely, but would still need a boost timing retarding device to eliminate pinging ... to my knowledge there aren't any uprgaded injectors available for a VG30E or i ... however, that doesn't mean that companies like Jim Wolf Tech. or the likes wont modify or offer something to help ...

and I would DEFINATELY pay 400 to 500 bucks for a supercharger kit ... even if it didn't come with the supercharger itself ...

Darn. I just passed up one of them Superchargers for 50 Bucks!!. Oh well. But DEFINATLEY would PURCHASE a kit for 500 Dollars! ABSOLUTLEY! Provided it Came with Detailed Installation Insructions, and as a bonus, some a reading material on how the kit came together and how all the parts work together. Good Reading Material!

Guest L&P Performance

The problem with including a SC is that for liability purposes, we'd have to only use new ones. Which run upwards of $2500 for the SC alone!! However, we can save you all a BIG chunk of change by doing it like this. See where we're coming from?

Just trying to help you all out!!

Guest 89PathSE

Well.... for the MPFI guys, it'd be easy for me to fabricate a whole new upper plenum that would bolt directly to the lower intake manifold. The BIG problem, as is mentioned, is supplying enough fuel. Like the old turbo 300zx's that used an MPFI system very similar to the Pathfinder, you only have room for about another 30 horses before you run outa fuel. You see, Nissan is notorious for using a fuel system JUST big enough to handle the stock engine. Now, JWT could easily revamp an ECU for use with some of them old turbo Z injectors and you'd be all set.... but that'd add the price of the ECU and a set of 6 injectors. The OTHER option, is to buy the fuel system from a VG30I pathy, and swap the whole thing in (only feasable for guys with a manual tranny, as I would expect the tranny would be a PITA if you had an auto). Fortunately, the TBI system has enough fuel to meet the demands. But, I atleast can do the actual bracketry for anyone thats intersted in doing the instal.

As far as boost is concerned, 9:1 compression is good right up to about 18 psi on 93 octane. Above that, it'll knock itself to death no matter what you do with the timing. Its very difficult to reach that kind of boost with an Eaton M90 with any kind of reasonable belt ratio anyways. Like say, my next modd will be an MSD boost retard controller.... I have to run about 8 degrees BTDC base timing with 93 octane to keep it from detonating. Thus far, with my current setup, it doesnt ping at all, not one bit. And as you can see, its VERY VERY fast. I've been able to get it to run 7.2's, 7.4, and 7.5 second 0-60mph on cool evenings without an air filter fairly consistently.

Future modds: First off is an MSD boost retard controller and an MSD 6A ignition box. Secondly, I need to make a trip to the junkyard to get one last A/C tensioner pulley from a pathy (thats the pulley I use on the snout of the supercharger). This way I will be able to run a second belt instead of the single one I run at the moment. Does anyone have one that I can have/buy from them? Next, I am going to go the extra mile with mine.... I have a spare TBI unit that I am going to piggy-back to the current one (twin TBI's feeding my monster VG30). This way I will PLEANTY of fuel and flow, probably enough for 400 hp or more with a stand alone fuel pump. When I do this, I am also going to fabricate a whole new set of adapters that will flow MUCH better than my current set up. I built this set only to work, not to work to perfection. At the same time, I'll pull the heads and intake manifold off and port/polish the living crap out of them (this is my old set that I had to swap back on from my old 11:1 compression heads). I'll remove a fair bit of combustion chamber material as well to lower my compression more towards 8:1. To top it off, a boost and air/fuel guage along with a new electric fan and BIGASS tranny cooler, probably sooner rather than later. I already have a nice set of pacesetter headers installed (as you can hear from the video)... and I'm going to re-do the exhaust system slightly to promote more total flow (2" straight back from each header instead of single open 2" as it stands now). After all said and done, I will have STILL only spent little over 400 bucks start to finish. And it's probably one of the fastest pathy's ever in history, let alone when I finish with the above mentioned in a couple months. :beer:

Anyhow, I'm going to hopefully get to the drag strip this or next friday and get some time slips in the 1/8th mile... this will help me know about how much horsepower I'm getting to the wheels. Also, I'll try and set up an appointment for the local dyno in the next few months. Using my 0-60 times and an approximate weight of 4300 lbs, I'm worth about 290 horses to the WHEELS!!! We'll see what the dyno says though.

Laterz,

Lee

Next, I am going to go the extra mile with mine.... I have a spare TBI unit that I am going to piggy-back to the current one (twin TBI's feeding my monster VG30). This way I will PLEANTY of fuel and flow, probably enough for 400 hp or more with a stand alone fuel pump.

Is this an idea that could work for the VG30E people? Two MPFI systems for the one engine? I dont know what I'm talking about turbo/supercharging is not something I know a lot about. Just throwing ideas out there.

Guest 89PathSE

Actually, yes, it could work. I'd need to fabricate an upper intake to handle the 12 injectors and twin throttle bodys. You'd need to get me a lower intake manifold from a VG30E, a second throttle body from a VG30E, a fuel rail/fuel pressure regulator from a VG30E, and a coresponding second set of 6 injectors. I can fabricate the rest. IF it worked, it'd be just the same idea as what I'm doing with the TBI system.... computer sees one MAF sensor and it's reading.... and injects the appropriet amount of fuel.... only, there is really twice that amount of air entering the engine since there are twin throttle bodys (mechanicaly synchronized)..... the injectors are piggybacked to eachother.... the computer thinks its firing only 6 injectors, but really is firing 12.... thus you end up with the correct fuel mixture, and twice the flow and fuel capacity. But again, I dont know how well the computer will cope with the piggybacked injectors (mostly dependant on if the injectors are low impedence or not).... the TBI's system uses very low impedence injectors and has no clue I've ever done anything with it. Anyhow, food for thought. I'd love to try it sometime if anyone was willing to supply the parts.

• 1 year later...

Please excuse me Pathy Fans for bringing up a dead thread. :hide:

I don't pretend to be a forced-induction expert, but I am thinking of putting a turbo on my 350z. To make the long story short, I thought that I would mention a few solutions in the Z world that could possibly be adapted to a boosted Pathy application.

Fuel Injectors:

Modified OEM Fuel Injectors from deatschwerks.com

Although they don't have the VG30E or model listed, I'd be willing to bet they would look into our injectors (MPI) if there was enough demand. Or perhaps, the VG30DETT injector might fit?

Fuel pressure:

The 350z community is buying the Walbro fuel pump for their boosted applications.

Engine Management:

I'd look into a piggy-back ECU system like the Greddy Emanage or the eManage Ultimate .

If any of the L&P guys are reading this, I'd suggest contacting Sharif (sha-reef) at ForgedInternals.com about the above items. He is quite famous in the 350z modding world and would be able to advise you engine management and fuel considerations for our application.

:beer:

Z