quick question

silverlion

LJ One of the forum members here in Oz who used to leave her sway bars disconnected ended up breaking 2 rear upper control arms within a few months of each other recently.

The cause was never really established but I suspect it may have been due the extra travel putting strain on them.

It would be interesting if any one else has experienced this problem with or without the bars disconnected?

Geoff

How is it driving the r50 with no front sway bar? I haven't had a rear one for a long time, but left the front one in since I had always thought it was really necessary for safety as a DD. Do you notice much extra flex with it gone (or broken as the case may be)?

Edited by HankG

How is it driving the r50 with no front sway bar? I haven't had a rear one for a long time, but left the front one in since I had always thought it was really necessary for safety as a DD. Do you notice much extra flex with it gone (or broken as the case may be)?

Mine came off a week after the lift came on...be prepared to LEAN, the lift was stiff enough the lean wasn't bad but the stock suspension is horrible...as for extra flex I doubt you would get much since the flex is limited by strut length anyway...I would say it is safe to drive without it just drive accordingly

I'll prolly leave the front alone...well, I have one sway bar link takin a dive, but I will disconnect the rear links and take out the bump stobs out back. Looking under there, the only issue I see, is the tard that did the dual exhaust, didn't pay too much attention to interference. I may mush a pipe. We'll see.

The rear doesn't change much as long as you've upgraded from OEM springs... I was able to custom build detachable sway bar links but I still need to to figure out a way to to fasten them and the sway bar when disconnected... For the moment it just hang there so it's a little nerve-wracking when going off-road.

As for the the front, I figure the OEM springs wouldn't provide enough support so aftermarket parts would be necessary.

Gonna try all this when spring rolls around... For now, it's just too damn cold!