:help:I SCREWED UP!

Guest NismoGuy

Guest NismoGuy

Hey guys,

I need youir help. Last night Iwas wheelin' with a buddy and I tried to go through a puddle that turn out to be a pond!! The water was up over both front seats. Luckily there was enough room for my buddy to pull me out and then home. This morning I vacuumed out at least 8 gallons from the carpets and seats. I cracked open my ECU and it was nothing but mud. I cleaned it with alchohol and replaced it I think it might be ok, then I removed my alarm box from under the drivers seat but there was something else there I opened it up it was another circuit board that I tried to clean of but I pulled off one of the electrode doo-hickeys I can't find it in my manual what is this for? Is it expensive? Do I need it? I hooked everthing up but that and tried to start it, I have power but the starter won't turn it just clicks. Thankyou in advance for any help. I swear if it's nothing serious I'll never go near water again.

On a lighter note when I pulled my water logged air filter out this morning I found a tadpole in the airbox. Had to laugh at that.

How deep did you go in?

If your air box is full, I think your cylinders may be full of water too? Don't even try to start it until you check this out. If it rolls over and the pistons try to compress water your gonna do major engine damage

I highly doubt that your computer will be okay after it was wet while running, your in deep doo doo.

play with the big boys, pay like the big boys.......

Guest NismoGuy

Thanks for your reply. I haven't started it yet the starter is definitely shot. As for water in the engine, I'm not sure, the oil looks good and I'm going to pull off the top of the motor and see if there is any water before I start it. I'm hoping there is a slim chance that none got in because as soon as it started getting deep something shorted and shut the truck down and It still hasn't been started. So, pray for me. Oh and by the way do you know what the black box next to the alarm box under the drivers seat is?

the only way to be sure with water in the engine is to take ALL spark plugs out then crank the engine over, the water gets pushed out throught the openings

be a good idea to check all your oils now.....

a hint: if you cant walk the water crossing then taking your vehicle through is not a good idea

ok... I'm sure everyone else wants to know but are probably afraid to ask.... Did you get any pictures?

The other box under the drivers seat is probably your R-ABS (rear wheel anti-lock brake system) control unit. It should have something like 17 wires running to the connector.

Sorry about the status of your Nissan Submarine. Take your time to get everything drained before you try to compress tadpoles. Spark plug removal should do that for you (as long as you can get her to crank). A little residial water in the cylinders is ok. They don't have to be bone dry but expect a steam cloud when you fire it up. Check other thereads for help with a new ECU. I think someone else in here drowned theirs too.

Guest NismoGuy

Sorry, no pics. It was very dark and I just wanted to get her home. I drained the oil and about a pint of water came out first. I changed the filter and replaced the oil but I'm afraid to do anything else. I'm just gonna take it to this garage by my house that specializes in 300z's, They should no what to do. Thanks for your help I'll let you know how I fare.

Like the others have said, *Make sure they pull the plugs before any other attempt of turning the engine over*

(That way when they do turn it over, water will be able to come out the plug holes...stand back though!)

I've seen a few vehicle drownings and when the ECU went, the starter wouldnt work at all - meaning your starter is most likely fine. If there is any water in the cylinders and it does crank, things will bend/break fast as water does not compress so again, make sure they know how to deal with an severe water intake.

Good luck.

once again i didnt read all the replies cus im short on time so forgive me if i repeat someone.. i did something very similar.. i found out mine cant swim either... i had water coming up over the hood.. well my alternator took a big dump on me.. im not sure how you would go about testing it to see if it is working but my crapped out so check it.. yours might have too.. my airbox was drenched too but i didnt take any water into the engine.. from what ive heard of my buddies with pathys the engines rarely take drinks when you go deep.. good luck with your circuit board stuff... oh yeah the one under my driver seat is some idle control crap

• 3 weeks later...

Ya when I got stuck the only thing that got ruined was my ECU, my apm that was under the drivers seat, and my front right speaker. I replaced the ECU ($135) I left my amp at the car wash, and I havent fixed the speaker yet. Its probebly alot worse in ur case. Oh ya AND I had to remove my back seats cuz they were SOAKED!!! I didnt even have them when we went to Sand Lake cuz they were still wet haha.

Good luck with your pathy and Im sorry that I dont ahve any advice for you but I know NOTHING about fixing vehicles.

Rami

P.S. I lied I actually do have advice for you. GET PICS!!! Not only will we LOVE TO SEE THEM but I think it could help explain a point better sometimes.