Cutting parts off the Pathy

Like the description says can I cut the metal off that hangs down behind the front bumper? I 'm gonna be going with a tube bumper up front & want to no if there is any structural signifigence to that piece. I think I've seen a couple do this (maybe Tyler Morgan?) but I can't really remember.

Dean, Pezzy or any of the other R50 experts opinions is really appreciated

Edited by Fukinitupagain

Not sure what piece you're reffering to but I have a related question:

Do the rockers provide any structural support? I was thinking into cutting them out so I could tuck sliders up higher and retain as much ground clearance as possible, but I was peeking around at them and they're fully boxed and I don't want to go blindly cutting into them.

Not sure what piece you're reffering to but I have a related question:

Do the rockers provide any structural support? I was thinking into cutting them out so I could tuck sliders up higher and retain as much ground clearance as possible, but I was peeking around at them and they're fully boxed and I don't want to go blindly cutting into them.

Being that they are part of the unibody structure I would not think you could just cut them and use standard sliders. Seems like if you twist and articulate the suspension that you would permantly twist the body. But you can read up on AK's build thread on his WD21. He cut his rockers out but integrated sliders where they were. A brilliant idea from a 4x4 guru.

Like the description says can I cut the metal off that hangs down behind the front bumper? I 'm gonna be going with a tube bumper up front & want to no if there is any structural signifigence to that piece. I think I've seen a couple do this (maybe Tyler Morgan?) but I can't really remember.

Dean, Pezzy or any of the other R50 experts opinions is really appreciated

if you're talking about the tabs that stick down off the frame for tow hook attachment hack the buggers off, and as far as the rockers, i've seen a few pathfinders that have had them cut out and rectangular tube steel put in their place as a rock rail.

Seems I didnt read properly before... I assumed you meant the back (not that I know the answer either way)... but what part are you talking about??

PathyTJM009.jpg

Seems I didnt read properly before... I assumed you meant the back (not that I know the answer either way)... but what part are you talking about??

PathyTJM009.jpg

You don't have 'em... Maybe it's only on the 96-99 R50's, but thats what I want mine to end up looking like after I would cut. I have metal pieces that hang down right under the lights I what not.

I would take a look and see what parts are bolted to that bit of metal. It's not structural as far as "frame" strength goes, but you might lose rigidity where the fenders, grille, corner lamps, and headlights attach if you cut it off. If I recall correctly, the bit you're referring to is part of the fender.

Edited by XPLORx4