Need a recommendation that won't blow up the vehicle

k9sar

The wife's van just started a loud squeek from inside the valve cover. bad news. Tapping is expected and usually a lifter but a squeek is either a very lost mouse or an oil starved ebaring on the cam. Before it gets worse and before I have to tear the top of the engine apart, I'm going to assume that some sludge is blocking the oil hole for the bearing. Normal oil change additives don't seem to work very well so I am looking for trusted and effective suggestions. Some I have read have been:

a qt of ATF added to the oil.

a liter of diesel fuel (but don't drive it)

mineral oil and alcohol

I need to do this fast before it gets worse.

thanks

Seafoam. Try that in the oil.

I'll also +1 the idea of ATF. Done it before, and had chunks of crap come out of the oil (my old car).

Edited by Simon

I wouldn't think that would work. ATF isn't that thin but I guess the composition is a solvent not a thinner. Kerosene would work great but I don't wanna drive a bomb

Would this potentially work in my fiance's Cavalier with it's constant valve tap? My mech thinks it's because of plugged up oil wells since it's pneumatic lifters and it gets progressively worse as the oil level drops even 1 / 16th of an inch.

EDIT: Yeah... spelling and grammar for the win... L2English why don't I...

Ignore this for hte moment - let me re-iterate whenI get home from work. or ifyou do understand what I'm saying, comment :D

Edited by Kittamaru

I'd try the Seafoam first. Follow instructions on can.

ATF is effectively a 7.5 wt hydraulic oil, so not sure why it would work so well, but I have heard many sing praises so it may be worth trying as well.