Transmission Shift Kit?

amo1dun

Whats up,

I read the pinned thread about the auto tranny shift kit for the Pathfinder by 88PathOffRoad.

I was just wondering if anyone has had one installed?

Does it make the tranny shift firmer or harder?

Have you had any problems with the tranny after installing the kit?

I am getting my 89 rebuilt in 2 weeks :) and I am interested in hearing feedback on the kit.

If its worth it ...Id like to order it and have it installed with my rebuild.

Any and all feedback is appreciated!!!

Thanks

Hey there!!

I have little info, but I'll share.

My 2nd pathfinder that I have been driving for 2 months has an auto tranny that was rebuilt by the PO. He said he had installed a shift kit, and he had no reason to lie about it.

The tranny has run for aproximately 12,000 miles (700 miles for me) and shows no signs of trouble.

The shift from 1st to 2nd is very hard, verging on a lurch. 2nd to 3rd is firm but negligible unless you have your foot in it and 3rd to 4th is seamless and is not felt unless you have your foot in it. Using the power mode feels too extreme to use without reason.

I have never driven an automatic WD21 before this so I don't have a good comparison, but merely described what it feels like.

I don't know how much the shift kits are but I have not heard of complaints about them. They may help stave off the dreaded soft shift of some older/used trannys. :shrug:

I don't know why you wouldn't want the kit installed (unless it is a grocery getter) but I am at the end of my expertise.

B

B, I don't have a shift kit but mine shifts just like yours does, until it is warmed up. Apparantly this is a fluid issue. And I find if I put my foot into it, it shifts like a hot knife through butter.

B, I don't have a shift kit but mine shifts just like yours does, until it is warmed up. Apparantly this is a fluid issue. And I find if I put my foot into it, it shifts like a hot knife through butter.

Same here, my 1st-2nd gear changes are very harsh when it's cold, but my 2nd-3rd shift, no matter the temp, is barely noticeable at all.

If the engine revs in 1st gear before shifting and I let my foot off the gas before it changes into 2nd gear, the shift is EXTREMELY harsh, it jolts the truck pretty well. If I keep my foot in it pretty good, it's not as bad.