I think the dealer is scamming me!

mmcpeck

Took my '97 Pathy into the dealer, it has a noticable misfire and the CEL is on.

They scanned it and pulled P0300 and a knock sensor code, obvioulsy caused by the misfire, so I'm not worried about that one.

Anyway for the P0300, they say they want to put plugs and wires in it, no cap and rotor, just plugs and wires...... for $400!!!!!!

WTF??!!! The guy tells me that the plugs are $27 each!!! Wires are $100, which I can see, but $27 for a friggin plug???? And on top of that 3 hours of friggin labor, to do 20 minutes of work!! I've doen them myself before and even with the back plug on the VG33, it is a 1/2 hour job when I do it.

I found a set of NGK's at Advance Auto for $1.99 a piece.

How the hell can the dealer scam people like that?? I know they are more money, but that is a blatant ripoff!!

Does anybody know why they would be charging me that??

I am really let down by the dealer.

Thanks.

Sounds like a rip off to me. I would have just laughed at them and walked out. Sounds like their labor rate is 'low' considering. I had a dealership here diagnose an issue on my GF's Toyota Matrix. 1 hour minimum, $120. I told them that they were insane!! Thankfully the pre-certified warranty covered the cost...

B

I'd have stabbed him in the neck with a screwdriver. Kidding, Some stearler are like that. It depends where the other stealers are. If there is another one nearby giving competition, he will be fair. Sounds like this one needs a little comp.

I'd have stabbed him in the neck with a screwdriver. Kidding, Some stearler are like that. It depends where the other stealers are. If there is another one nearby giving competition, he will be fair. Sounds like this one needs a little comp.

HAHA...Dude I felt like it!! He was so friggin smug, like $400 is completely normal for plugs and wires.

I am gonna pick the truck up tomorrow and tell him to shove it! What a waste of time taking it to the dealer.

I may have to write a letter to Nissan, not sure if it will do any good though.

Refuse to pay and tell them not to do the work and, if they did already, that you will NOT pay until you have the old equipment.

Any Certified mechanic worth his salt will keep them to show.

Ask to see order invoices...Nissan dealers (at least the Canadian ones) work from a central computer system so all pricing is standard (on Nissan parts), and different jobs are given "set" hours.

If they fail to provide you with part invoices then they've opened up a whole new can of worms. A quick call to a few other Nissan dealers will give you a good idea of how many hours the job should take or how much the parts are worth. Just ask for a quote, don't bring up your current conundrum. If they can't or aren't willing to show you what you're paying for thats something to make a big deal of. What are they hiding? Don't they keep proper documentation of work orders? etc etc

The plan of marching in there and saying "fskc you give me my truck I'm not paying" may not be the best course of action. They have your truck, they can just say no. Then you get into legal action, and even if you do get your truck back it'll be a headache and a half.

Edited by Zibi

I had heard that due to rising oil costs that spark plugs were next to go up in price....lol just kidding!

Go get some sweet Iridiums (they fire more easily than platinum or copper...$6 each), a new cap& rotor, try to find nice plug wires (not sure I'd go with just any brand since they may be faulty new in the box), and a KNOCK SENSOR ! These years (96-99, or VG33e models) are notorious for havin a knock sensor code.

The knock sensor is not going to cause a knock, but it is probably worn out. I had a 98 and from what I know the distributor does wear out also...and they come with a new cap and rotor--but look at it for cracks if you go that route.

The random multiple missfire code (P300) is a mean one, having several possible problems...hang tight and do little by little. Change as much spark as you can first--then check fuel (injectors, fuel filter, fuel pump, pressure regulator).

Keep us informed!

I had heard that due to rising oil costs that spark plugs were next to go up in price....lol just kidding!

Go get some sweet Iridiums (they fire more easily than platinum or copper...$6 each), a new cap& rotor, try to find nice plug wires (not sure I'd go with just any brand since they may be faulty new in the box), and a KNOCK SENSOR ! These years (96-99, or VG33e models) are notorious for havin a knock sensor code.

The knock sensor is not going to cause a knock, but it is probably worn out. I had a 98 and from what I know the distributor does wear out also...and they come with a new cap and rotor--but look at it for cracks if you go that route.

The random multiple missfire code (P300) is a mean one, having several possible problems...hang tight and do little by little. Change as much spark as you can first--then check fuel (injectors, fuel filter, fuel pump, pressure regulator).

Keep us informed!

Funny you mention that, I get the P0300 code for a day or two every six months or so, truck never runs any differently though, so I am starting with all you mentioned above that is spark related, all NGK for plugs and wires, I have no idea what a good brand is for cap and rotor though (havent looked into knock sensor but may want to)