Hello

Guest 88PONY

Guest 88PONY

Just like to say Hi! I just bought the woman a 1995 Pathfinder, and its giving us some problems and was wondering if you all could help us out. I changed he timing belt and water pump, and I went to time it at the dist. and get no change or even a timing mark with my light. The truck stinks like rotten eggs and has no pickup. I am total lost at this. I just changed my chain in my Explorer and had no problems. I know it hjas 2 cams ,is it possible ones out of time?

:help:

It's entirely possible that one of the cams could be one tooth off, or that the crank gear could be one tooth off, which would make both the cams one tooth off. The crank gear is supposed to have a matchmark on the timing cover, but most don't. You need to check for TDC on the #1 piston manually either by sight or by using something to put down the spark plug hole, then turning the crankshaft back and forth to determine exactly where #1 TDC is. I should know, I made the same mistake the first time I changed my t-belt. ;)

Guest 88PONY

Couldn't I just make up the timing by pulling the distributor and turning the rotor? I'm never did a belt with dual overhead cams before. TDC is no problem, but how do I know where the cams are supposed to be? Is there something to unplug to tell the ECU its being timed? I just going by what I know on Fords that they have a little pill by the dist. that has to be pulled to time the vehical correctly.

Thanks Again

no man, you'll have to dis-assemble back to the belt - the valve timing gotta be on the money. Then align your dots and I think the belt has the 3 markings too and that should be good. I wouldn't really trurn much of anything without the belt except to bump it to align so you want to find TDC before removing it.

Your spark timing should be as it was. You shouldn't have to re-time it but never know.

I think the belt has the 3 markings too and that should be good. I wouldn't really trurn much of anything without the belt except to bump it to align so you want to find TDC before removing it.

Your spark timing should be as it was. You shouldn't have to re-time it but never know.

yes three marks

if your off too much on your valve timing, say goodbye to your valves.. thats the crappy thing

Guest 88PONY

The runs, but not very well. I know I got the cam marks on the belt lined up but the crank gear I'm not to sure about. I might be of a tooth on that. So as long as all 3 marks on the belt line up the marks on the cam and crank gears I should be good?

Guest 88PONY

Well i'm of to rip this truck apart once again. I'm just going to make sure that all the marks on the belt match up with the ones on the crank and cam gears. We'll see what happens.

Thanks -bounce-

here's an Idea. Is there a Timing Shunt or Electronic Component that has to be Disconnected to adjust the Timing at the Distrib. I know on every other Nissan that i have ever worked on there is something that had to be disconnected. Any Thoughts on that?

Guest 88PONY

I fixed it!!! :bow: No more rotten egg smell either. I was so off on the timing. My only question is i can't see th timing marks with the timing light. Any ideas? I just left the distributor where it was.

Thanks everyone :D

if you cant see them ... try cleaning up the area of the timing marks with some solvent and steel wool to brighten that area up - then take a small dap of grease and wipe it over the marks ... this will fill in the marks and make them more visible with a timing light ... if you are STILL not seing them ... check to be sure that the ignition pickup for the timing light is indeed hooked up to the number one wire (the wire leading from the front most, passanger side cylinder)...

... Try doing a Timing Chain on a KA24DE in a 94 Altima with DOHC. I am still working on mine. had to Remove the Heads, both Oil pans, Crosmemebers, Exhaust Flexpipe, Etc.etc. 6 hours in there today and i only got the lower part of the motor together! Yesh! I rather Replace the Damm Motor!