Grand Canyon Visit

unccpathfinder

So since me and the ex haven't worked things out as of lately and I don't have any friends here that don't have families that they spend time with on the weekends I figured I'd take this coming up weekend to make a small road trip up to the GC and then on my way back i'm going to swing by the Hoover Dam for my 25th B-day...the only sad part is I will not be traveling in the pathy's, the camry will be doing the driving (the guy i'm living with told me i can take his fronty but its 2wd and i'm funny about driving other peoples cars.

I'll probably leave Friday morning and get there and try to find someplace to camp (anyone have suggestions that would be awesome) I will be coming in on AZ-64. (looks like its going to be hard to find a spot to camp from searching)

I know there is a ton to do there and I'm just now starting my research and would like to see what I can in the time I can and hopefully get some good pictures. I know the skywalk is opened now and figured that would be a stop to make.

Thanks guys/gals

Edited by unccpathfinder

memorize the mnemonic:

know the canyon's history, study rocks that be made by time

Know -- Kaibab Limestone (250 Million Years Old)

The -- Toroweap Formation (255 Million Years Old)

Canyon's -- Coconino Sandstone (260 Million Years Old)

History -- Hermit Shale (265 Million Years Old)

Study -- Supai Formation (285 Million Years Old)

Rocks -- Redwall Limestone (335 Million Years Old)

Made -- Muav Limestone (515 Million Years Old)

By -- Bright Angel Shale (530 Million Years Old)

Time -- Tapeats Sandstone (545 Million Years Old)

Thanks for the info...it looks like i'm going to put the trip off for 2 or 3 weeks...i started looking and it would be best to plan this out right...i'm going to LA next week for my buddies wedding so I'm going to be getting a GPS and a new digital camera that will allow me to take better pix at the GC so I think if i plan the trip better and have all my new toys I will have a much more enjoyable trip...so the imput isnt lost just delayed...

looks like i'mma introduce these ole folks and cali folks into some beer pong and we'll throw down for my 1st birthday since i've been 21 that I dont have class or work the next day...

• 4 weeks later...

Well finally made my visit...I must say it's pretty damn impressive...I've got to go through and sort out the pix before I post any...I was curious if there was someone driving in on Friday on 64 b/c I was behind a pathy that about (not all that close) nailed 3 deer running across the road...

I have to say that I feel mighty lucky to be able and go visit at this age since I saw many older folks there who were as impressed if not more than I was

So I uploaded a couple of my favorites from what i've seen so far between me and my buddies camera...

I was disappointed that we didnt get to the Hoover Dam in time to do a tour but I think I was more impressed by the new bridge they are building than the dam itself...

I want to go back and do some hiking in the GC...we walked about a mile or so into the Canyon (I wanted to hike the 1st 1.5 miles but I was seeing the fatigue in my buddy walking into the canyon and knowing what we had just walked in on I knew he was going to struggle to go back out (which he did) and I chose to stick with him instead of finishing my hike and then catching back up b/c at his pace out I could have and the sad part is I was carrying our pack with all the water and food for the day (probably 30 additional lbs) but its all good

Cool Contrast of colors:

GrandCanyonTrip082.jpg

Taking a look down:

GrandCanyonTrip119.jpg

Looking down from the other side:

GrandCanyonTrip124.jpg

Below the rim looking up at a ram:

GrandCanyonTrip145.jpg

Bright sun below the rim:

GrandCanyonTrip162.jpg

Hoover Dam with new bridge in background:

GrandCanyonTrip185.jpg

Edited by unccpathfinder

Hell yea...i'm thinking if they give it a couple years its suicide rate will beat the Golden Gate...I was really intrigued by the custom (looked custom to me but i dont know a whole lot about bridge building) rig they were using to build the arches...I sure as hell know I wouldnt be riding that skyline across the river to get from one side to the other...hell to the no...standing on the side of hte grand canyon looking down 3000 ft didnt bother me all that much but floating across that thing would scare the piss out of me...

Drove a little over 1500 miles in 4 days but I guess that doesnt really contend with my 2500 miles in 2.5 days...great trip and dont want to go back to work tomorrow

Edited by unccpathfinder

Amazing pics... I really wanted to go to the GC last year when we were in Vegas... we made the trip to The Hoover Dam, and that was a full day trip as is... I think it was another 5 hours to get to GC??

Looks like it's slow going on that bridge... I took this pic in March:

n803960426_3147652_5043.jpg

well they don't have the arches going in your pic but you can't really see them in mine. It was dusk and I was playing with the settings on my camera and got enough light to see the dam but it kinda washed the bridge out. When I get home i'll try to find the ones that show both sides of the bridge but yea i saw the construction sign something like 2003-2010 so they've got to make the work last.

It was about a 4 hr drive from the GC to the HD and was well worth it (about 7 from the house but was 8 for us since I realized I forgot the tent halfway there and we had to drive up to flagstaff to get a new 1)

Edited by unccpathfinder

Here's the other side in March:

n803960426_3147644_2633.jpg

yeah, one day I want to go see the Grand Canyon. It was just too much driving from Las Vegas, when we only had 4 days.

4 days was plenty of time...

Thursday

~picked my buddy up from LAX (2.5 hr drive from the house)

~Drove to Hollywood (1 hr in traffic) then he realized he lost his ID

~Drove back to LAX (1 hr in traffic) then 3 hrs looking and didnt find it

~Drove back up to Santa Monica to the pier (about another hrs driving)

~Drove back home (got stuck on 405 like 4 hrs of driving)

~Get home about 11PM or so

Friday

~He finds ID and we pack the car and leave about 8AM 2 hrs behind schedule

~get on the road and hit asphalt that wasnt cured so turn around to wash it off the car (about 30 mins lost there)

~forgot food in fridge turn back around (lost another 30 mins)

~get halfway there and I realize I didnt remember putting the tent in the car so we stop and check...no tent find nearest walmart is an extra hrs drive

~watched the great zohan on the road

~got to the GC at 6:30 PM with enough light to see it as we pulled off right inside the gate

~got lost for about an hr b/c my buddy sucks at reading a map

~got camp setup and killed some beers and was out by 11 PM

Saturday

~up at 7am and tear down camp

~go park and walk the wrong way on the road b/c my buddy sucks at reading maps and it was the only way I could tell him I told you so.

~wandered the GC until about 2PM

~Stopped at Hoover Dam at about 6

~get to vegas about 7 and get lost b/c my GPS had N Las Vegas Blvd instead of S Las Vegas Blvd

~ get checked in and dinner at toby keiths by about 8

~ in bed at 6 am

Sunday

~up and ready for lunch by 11 am

~napped from 2-4

~watched rocket boys from 4-6 while buddy continued to sleep

~went to freemont about 7 after dinner

~bed about 5 am after

Mon

~up at 10 and checked out by 11

~back home at about 3PM

Tues

~drive his ass back to LAX and back home..back home about 3

I put damn near 2000 miles on the camry in 6 days

yeah, one day I want to go see the Grand Canyon. It was just too much driving from Las Vegas, when we only had 4 days.

Should have taken one of the helicopter rides from Vegas then. See the canyon and be done in about an hour.

Should have taken one of the helicopter rides from Vegas then. See the canyon and be done in about an hour.

That I was in to... except for the price tag.

The plan is to check out Scottsdale one day, and head up to GC.