Rust advice...!

tekazgtr1984

***Important notice to R50 owners with detachable fender flares***

So I noticed a small rust bubble on my right-side quarter panel a while back and finally decided to take my flares off yesterday... :ohno01:

Oh man I nearly started to cry! I knew I had to get some body work done but whoa... The quarter panel will need, without any doubt in my

mind, some serious welding done... The left-side quarter panel was has some minor surface rust (which is no big deal to repair). And

both fenders will need to be replaced due to rust penetration on both. :(

Luckily, fenders are cheap to buy and pretty easy to replace, and with my plans to apply Durabak paint I'll wait that out till spring (please

see Paint thread http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19811 for more info), but the body work on the rear quarter panels will

have to be done asap. More money I have to spend that I don't have... :rant2:

I've noticed this rust issue on many R50's in Winnipeg and I would imagine the fender flares only accelerate the problem. To that end, I'm gonna

experiment with some ideas to rust-proof those rust target areas once the body work is done. :D

PS - I'll post pics of before and after of my progress. I would now but it's waaaay dark out :thumbsdown:

Edited by tekazgtr1984

Luckily, fenders are cheap to buy and pretty easy to replace,

They are?? Where... as I need one. It has the cancer.

fender flares only accelerate the problem.

Yup, the WD21's have the same issue... moisture, dirt, god know what gets caught in them, and has a nice little rust party when no one's looking. Best bet is to do away with the flares.

They are?? Where... as I need one. It has the cancer.

Well wreckers tend to be really good price-wise but kind of infrequent and results are purely luck... :blink:

So I did the next best thing: went to NAPA and got a set on back-order. Just be sure to let them know

whether your fenders have the OEM flares or not, as the part #'s vary ;)

They end up about $400 for the set with flares... Without was $300-something-ish...

And you're totally right Pezzy, rust is cancer for vehicles... It's quite sad :(

Why they still use salt on the roads in winter is waaaay beyond me... it's totally useless!!! :rant2:

Edited by tekazgtr1984

300 for a set eh? Well, better than what the dealer cost is... $275 for one.

I havent checked out any scrappers... although, any I have ever noticed, seems to have the fender I need smashed up.

I havent checked out any scrappers... although, any I have ever noticed, seems to have the fender I need smashed up.

True enough... It's almost best to have someone inform you as soon as a Pathy comes into the wrecker so you can get

first dibs... ;) Otherwise I'd say meh...

As for NAPA, it is a gazillion times better than dealer "pricing"... :rolleyes: "Gouging" seems more appropriate to me.

And I've been going to NAPA since I picked up my Pathy in April and I've been able to haggle prices. It may help save

you a few bucks, which always add up in the long run. Try your best to get them to give you a deal :jig:

Man there aint no R50's worth pissin on in Winnipeg JY's

I recently noticed some bubbling on my fender and I have the flares as well. I may remove them some day but for now, I'll keep picking away at the rust. I won't tackle much mechanical stuff but body work is within my realm.

Edited by daftpup

Any more info on how the rust got started..ie. around the nylon inserts for the flares or where they hug the body line...

When I wash my R50 always run my fingers around the lip of the quarter behind the flare to keep the debris from sitting there.

When I added OE flares to my 98 I did not use the nylon anchors and the self tappers started to eat my quarters away---yes very upsetting indeed--I feel your pain!

I don't know where they live... but that's because I'm totally clueless on what a JY

is... lol :blush02:

oh why didn't you say sumpin...junkyard. That's the murrican way. Up here, on the vast reaches of the tundra, we more commonly refer to them as wreckers right.

Edited by daftpup

Any more info on how the rust got started..ie. around the nylon inserts for the flares or where they hug the body line...

When I wash my R50 always run my fingers around the lip of the quarter behind the flare to keep the debris from sitting there.

When I added OE flares to my 98 I did not use the nylon anchors and the self tappers started to eat my quarters away---yes very upsetting indeed--I feel your pain!

On the fenders it started at random points near the anchors... All it took was a little dust, salt and moisture to start the rust... Only option now is to get it fixed. :(

I got the price from NAPA today on the fenders. Non-flare type is 135.33 per side, flare-type is 155.33 per side.

Beats the heck out of dealer pricing any day! :jig:

Edited by tekazgtr1984

oh why didn't you say sumpin...junkyard. That's the murrican way. Up here, on the vast reaches of the tundra, we more commonly refer to them as wreckers right.

Lol true enough... Forgive me, my forum abbrevations are pretty much non-existent... :shrug:

But yeah, the wreckers rarely have a R50 with fenders intact. At least around these parts. :angry:

The only option remains NAPA... alas, the tundra be a lonely place.

I got the price from NAPA today on the fenders. Non-flare type is 135.33 per side, flare-type is 155.33 per side.

Sweet, thanks for the info!

I have uploaded pics of the rust on my R50... quarter panel repair is a kick in the teeth.

I'm looking at about $600 for the right side alone :(

The rest may have to wait till spring...

Here are the links with the so-called 'target spots':

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq242/t...50/DSC07143.jpg

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq242/t...50/DSC07144.jpg

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq242/t...50/DSC07142.jpg

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq242/t...50/DSC07141.jpg

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq242/t...50/DSC07140.jpg

working on ariplanes, we are quite anal about corrosion here. there is not much that corrodes without our knowledge and it doesn't get very far. one thing we do is apply sealant to every thing. anywhere that 2 pieces are srewed, bolted or riveted together there its sealant; in between and somtimes an extra bead arround the edge. The selant does more than waterproof, it prevents dirt from entering and reduces vibration that would cause dirt and friction of parts to wear down other protective coatings such as paint.

That being said, I reccomend after yall get your fenders repaired/replaced using sealant when installing the flares. A few tips on aplication to keep it clean and neat looking;

-tape off the outline of the flare first so it doesn't squeeze out onto the rest of the fender and tape the outside edge of the flare too

-use a portion of a saw blade (9-15 teeth per inch reccomended) to "rake" the sealant once its applied, this ensures even thickness coverage and reduces exess "squeeze out" after part is installed.

-install flares and remove tape carefully as it will have exess squeez out on it.

-unlike aircraft, a regular tube of clear RTV silicone and a caluk gun from the hardware store can be used for this. I'm gessing 2 9" tubes for all 4 flares.

Who did you sleep with at Napa?? I called and they quoted me $190 with no flare!

Who did you sleep with at Napa?? I called and they quoted me $190 with no flare!

LOL I didn't sleep with anyone at NAPA but that's the price they gave me...

My girlfriend would kick my ass if I began whoring myself for deals on parts :tongue:

Edited by tekazgtr1984

working on ariplanes, we are quite anal about corrosion here. there is not much that corrodes without our knowledge and it doesn't get very far. one thing we do is apply sealant to every thing. anywhere that 2 pieces are srewed, bolted or riveted together there its sealant; in between and somtimes an extra bead arround the edge. The selant does more than waterproof, it prevents dirt from entering and reduces vibration that would cause dirt and friction of parts to wear down other protective coatings such as paint.

That being said, I reccomend after yall get your fenders repaired/replaced using sealant when installing the flares. A few tips on aplication to keep it clean and neat looking;

-tape off the outline of the flare first so it doesn't squeeze out onto the rest of the fender and tape the outside edge of the flare too

-use a portion of a saw blade (9-15 teeth per inch reccomended) to "rake" the sealant once its applied, this ensures even thickness coverage and reduces exess "squeeze out" after part is installed.

-install flares and remove tape carefully as it will have exess squeez out on it.

-unlike aircraft, a regular tube of clear RTV silicone and a caluk gun from the hardware store can be used for this. I'm gessing 2 9" tubes for all 4 flares.

That's a great idea! :D Thanks

I'll definitely be doing that once I repair the damn rust :jig:

What kind of sealant would this be, and is it available in stores?

Edited by tekazgtr1984

I have uploaded pics of the rust on my R50... quarter panel repair is a kick in the teeth.

I'm looking at about $600 for the right side alone :(

The rest may have to wait till spring...

Here are the links with the so-called 'target spots':

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq242/t...50/DSC07143.jpg

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq242/t...50/DSC07144.jpg

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq242/t...50/DSC07142.jpg

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq242/t...50/DSC07141.jpg

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq242/t...50/DSC07140.jpg

Thats all you had? You're lucky.. check out these pics from my trip to the body shop...

P6240210.JPG

P6240211.JPG

P7020231.JPG

P7020232.JPG

DSCF1068.JPG

PICT0362_0003-2.jpG