Paint

tekazgtr1984

What is up my fellow enthusiasts?

After noticing the effects of winter roads (salt, sand and snow) on my R50 (not to mention many other imports), I have to invest in some serious

body work, namely my rear quarter panels and fenders. I hate rust! It sucks! Boo-urns to rust! :rant2:

Anyhoo, I've come across a body paint called Durabak, and this stuff looks tough. It was originally designed as a truck bed liner but there are

now several colours available. I've seen a offroad trucks in Winnipeg with this paint job and not only does it look badass, it serves a truly

useful offroad purpose. On top of that, its texture makes it highly durable and virtually rust proof :jig:

To that end, I was checking out the website tonight, and orders for this stuff are to be made by the gallon. I'm wondering if anyone might

know how much paint is necessary to paint a R50... I have absolutely no idea what quantity would be required, so any help would be

just uber sweet! Thanks :D

PS - Here's the site in case anyone is interested :clickdalink:

I would say it can take up to 3 gallons to spray a vehicle your size with regular paint in a good thick coat. that being said, this durabak is prolly a bit thicker and I'm assuming your rolling it so I'd say @least 4 gallons.

Edit: from their website;

What is the square foot coverage?

One gallon covers approximately 60 square feet with two coats

that would prolly come out to 3 gallons eh?

Edited by MY1PATH

I would say it can take up to 3 gallons to spray a vehicle your size with regular paint in a good thick coat. that being said, this durabak is prolly a bit thicker and I'm assuming your rolling it so I'd say @least 4 gallons.

Edit: from their website;

that would prolly come out to 3 gallons eh?

So 4 gallons you say? Werd, that sounds good to me :D

As for the application process I don't think rolling would have the best results. My girlfriend's brother used a spray gun to apply the paint on his ride and it looks just deadly :jig:

So I think for the same kind of results I'd do the same thing.

As for the application process I don't think rolling would have the best results. My girlfriend's brother used a spray gun to apply the paint on his ride and it looks just deadly :jig:

So I think for the same kind of results I'd do the same thing.

keep in mind the website stated you need a large opening to spray this stuff, its thick and i fear may cause trouble in some paint guns.

Can Durabak™ be sprayed?

Yes, with most conventional spray equipment but it requires a large tip (1/4") and should be thinned with Xylene approximately 10%.

keep in mind the website stated you need a large opening to spray this stuff, its thick and i fear may cause trouble in some paint guns.

Thanks for the advice :D I was wondering the same thing myself considering most paints are relatively thinner.

Luckily I have the necessary equipment for this type of application :jig: ...or rather can borrow it when I go through with this project.

I can't bear to watch any vehicle rust, let alone my own... :ohno01: That's why this paint seems to be a good, long-term idea: durability

and rust-proofability (is that even a word?) :blink:

Edited by tekazgtr1984

...rust-proofability (is that even a word?)

sure its a word! it means your vehicle stays intact and structurally sound longer right? lol

be sure to post pics when its done I'm thinkin about trying this stuff too!

Keep in mind that thicker paint will result in thicker coat on your truck. Theres a guy up here who painted his Trekker build in a similar product (bedliner type stuff) and I recall he had a few issues with clearances for the tailights, handles, hatch etc.

but good luck with it, your truck will look killer with it :D

Keep in mind that thicker paint will result in thicker coat on your truck. Theres a guy up here who painted his Trekker build in a similar product (bedliner type stuff) and I recall he had a few issues with clearances for the tailights, handles, hatch etc.

but good luck with it, your truck will look killer with it :D

Thanks guys! :D :D :D

I'm hoping to go through with this project... but it will require some serious work.

I'm thinking I'll actually take the panels, hatch and doors off... Paint 'em all separate

as to avoid clearance issues... Hopefully I can get some help from a paintshop

or the like, either for the app or just suggestions to make it easy.

Of course I'll post pics! :jig:

I'm hoping to do some real sweet-ass custom work with the paint, in the ultimate

hopes of rendering my Pathy's body and chassis invincible from rust... I just hate

rust so damn much...! :rant2:

I would start with two and go from there. One gallon of house paint puts two coats on a LOT of wallspace. I've been painting for quite some time now.

I know house paint isn't the same as bedliner-style coatings (coating thickness, etc) but still, I can't imagine using 4 gallons on a single vehicle unless you straight dumped it on the roof and let it drip down onto the rest. heh

I would start with two and go from there. One gallon of house paint puts two coats on a LOT of wallspace. I've been painting for quite some time now.

I know house paint isn't the same as bedliner-style coatings (coating thickness, etc) but still, I can't imagine using 4 gallons on a single vehicle unless you straight dumped it on the roof and let it drip down onto the rest. heh

Lol :D

I agree with you there 100% 88... Although doing that would look pretty, um, interesting...? :huh:

I contacted Durabak, and they won't ship directly to a Canadian address...! :rant2: That means I'd have to

go to the border to pick it up. Just wanted to let any other Canucks know this in case any of y'all

would want to do this paint app.

So 2 gallons it is... Seeing as how I need to mix in Xylene to thin it out in order to spray it, that amount

should do the trick :)

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know where your @ on the project but I'm sold on durabak :aok: ;

I wrote them with my color scheme in mind and they sent me severl smooth and textured color chips . I've had em sittn' arround for a while and the other day I got 2 thinkin'

"Hey can this $#!t be as tough as they say it is?" and immediately attempted to key it!

The color chips creased in my hands and there is visible damage to the backsides of the chips but on the coating side the coating was intact and un scrathced. It only creased a litte where the chip itself was creased. Today I drug a scisor across it while backing it on the table so it wont crease, after a 2nd harder addempt I finally made a visible scratch but it only scrathced the surface.

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet, good experimentation :aok:

That's always a key element when trying

out new stuff

I've got several buddies here who've done

this paint app to their rigs and it's been

nothing but positive feedback. They go

wheeling every weekend and their paint

remains unchanged. And that's really

saying something where rust is a nasty

reality for a good part of the year.

I'm going to contact Durabak again and

plead with them to ship me the goods.

I haven't been able to find the stuff

locally anywhere, even for it to be

shipped... :unsure:

I'll try to remember to check back with you in a few months when I do mine, If you still don't have it I'll take your order and ship it to you myself. You'll have 2 pay double shipping on your end but @ least you'll have the paint.

ive never painted a vehicle with bedliner material, but i have sprayed undercoating, and bedliners. and i paint cars. never done a pathfinder, but i did a cherokee (similar size) 2.5 to 3 quarts will give you about 4 good heavy coats. but that stuff is thick, and it doesnt take long to spray a gallon:) good luck, hope it turns out for ya

Thanks! I'm hoping for some kick-ass

results myself.

I'm thinking I'll need at least 3 gallons

to do 2 layers on the body. I am going

to double-check with Durabak once

I finalize everything just to be sure.

It won't be until late spring 2009

but I can't wait!

:jig::jig::jig:

You know...you don't have to hit enter after every line...it will automatically wrap the text when you post. Call me OC but that drives me nuts when your posts are only 4 centimeters wide on my 22" widescreen monitor.

You know...you don't have to hit enter after every line...it will automatically wrap the text when you post. Call me OC but that drives me nuts when your posts are only 4 centimeters wide on my 22" widescreen monitor.

Maybe he is using a 15 inch CRT running windows 95 at 800x600? :laugh:

Maybe he is using a 15 inch CRT running windows 95 at 800x600? :laugh:

LOL, that would be pretty rough if that were the case. Actually, the layout on my desktop at work only makes half of the typing space visible and I just got lazy and chose not to scroll... Hitting Enter was just an easy way out. However, I have figured out how to fix it so now I'm able to see the whole area. Sorry for being a lazy douche :blush02:

Edited by tekazgtr1984

LOL, that would be pretty rough if that were the case.

Actually, the layout on my desktop at work only makes

half of the typing space visible and I just got lazy and chose

not to scroll... Hitting Enter was just an easy way out.

However, I have figured out how to fix it so now I'm able to

see the whole area. Sorry for being a lazy douche :blush02:

I thought it was funny.

I might start doing that

in good traditon

jk

LOL sorry... just became a natural reflex texting... In that regard I'm a bit OCD.

When OCD's clash? It bugs me because you're the only one that does it. It bugs you when you don't. Fight to the death?

When OCD's clash? It bugs me because you're the only one that does it. It bugs you when you don't. Fight to the death?

I challenge you to a duel. Pistols at dawn! :D

I can only afford the water-shooting type though...

Edited by tekazgtr1984