best battery?

keelhaul

I was thinking of getting a redtop optima but nismojunky thinks a yellowtop might be better. So I thought I would get some more opinions. I want the best battery that money can buy. Well, around $200 I guess. And the biggest that will fit in my 02 pathfinder. Thanks. and thanks nismojunky I was not aware of yellowtops

To bogle you more optima also makes a blue top....

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_edge...nical_specs.php

If you read the link you may find out what you need. The Jist I got was this;

Blue tops average the most cranking and cold cranking amps. helps starting(Pathys turn over pretty easy so I don't think thats a big need)

Yellow tops average the most capacity and reseve capacity over the others which is what will be used by a WINCH

Red tops averaged higer cranking amps than the yellow but lowere in the other areas I assume they are the more affordable battery.

Looking at only the 10" SAE post style batteries (stock style for pathy) It seems the yellow may be most suited for your needs but that doesn't mean a red won't . to be on the safe side you could always leave the engine Idle while winching to provide more power or have an Idle up control so that your alternator becomes the powerplant for the winch.

Edited by MY1PATH

i have a redtop and love it. havent installed my winch yet. but blue is typically for something that doesnt get started often and the battery sit for awhile. ie a boat or rv or somrthign like that. and thenwhat mypath said about the yellows and reds. if your gonna use the alternator like that i suggest getting a new one casue the stock 60amp isnt gonna do much for ya

Yellow top is a deep cycle battery which means it can be drained low to full many times without compromising the batteries potential. The red top has a higher cranking amperage and is great for starting the engine or anything else that needs a lot of Draw for a short time. Mind you if your in a warmer climate it really wouldn't matter if you used a yellow top for normal starting. Personally I'd run a dual battery setup with yellow tops. The Blue batteries are their Marine battleries, not that it makes that much of a difference but that's what they are for.

Edited by Dowser

I have a different alternative--or at least in my area--it is a Dekka--SeaMate. It is rated fairly low, however still in Nissan's range of "OK". It is the 8a24m and puts out 470 CCA with 660 CA at 32F. I have had this battery for 4 years with NO problems! I got mine local for $95

Yellow top is a deep cycle battery which means it can be drained low to full many times without compromising the batteries potential.

I thought all optima batteries were deep cycle batteries?

/\ As mentioned if you're looking for optima, red is a good starting battery, yellow is a good working battery for winching, lots of lights... stuff that will drain the battery. We have a buddy running a bluetop (or similar marine battery) and has no issues... he has a winch, however being that they are typically for marine use, I do wonder how they would fare in the winter.

I just killed a yellow top... (randomly gave up on me, was only about 2.5 years old)... we're trying out a crappy tire battery with similar specs to the yellowtop. It was cheaper, and has a way better warranty.

Search CT's site for:

Motomaster Eliminator Spiral Grid Battery

From $159.99

Product #10-7590-8

http://www.canadiantire.ca

Although, when Simon went to pick it up for me, they told him the warranty wouldn't apply to my truck, as it wasn't listed in their magical little book. The 99 Nissan Quest is, and as far as they know, that is what I am driving. :D

I picked this up in August, and haven't had any issues with it. That said, I havent really had a chance to work it too much. A couple winching episodes, that's all.

Afraid not. Just their Yellow top and the Blue top comes as either a Starter style battery or a Deep Cycle battery. Doesn't do both though.

The Yellow Top is just that....Deep Cycle/Starting. They're designed to do both.

To add to what Pezzy said.....

The Red Top is good for starting, but is NOT a deep cycle battery. This means it'll work fine at amperage draws equal or lower to the amperage your alternator puts out. Unless you have a 450amp alternator, you're going to need a deep cycle battery for your winch. That's a typical amperage draw at full load (8000-10000lbs) using a winch.

The yellow top is the way to go if you're going Optima. Dekka, Orbital (made by Exide) and Odyssey (very expensive) also sell deep cycle/starting batteries.

Edited by Simon

Although, when Simon went to pick it up for me, they told him the warranty wouldn't apply to my truck, as it wasn't listed in their magical little book. The 99 Nissan Quest is, and as far as they know, that is what I am driving. :D

Simon that was a hilarious story! My dad also has the same battery as pezzy (it came with the truck when we bought it) and the date on it is march 05 and it's been fine so far.