Terrano in Malawi

TerranoMW

Just getting around to introducing myself, I've already posted a bit about my immediate car problems, so I've already told you a bit about myself. I guess it would be polite to introduce myself before I come barging in here asking a lot of questions . . !

But again, thanks for those who helped me figure out what year my Terrano is (1996!!) as well as assessing my suspension needs.

So, yes, my Terrano lives in Malawi where I am currently working for an aid organization. I bought it off somebody in July who was leaving the country. I needed something with 4 wheel drive, especially in the rainy season it's the only way to get through, and in the dry season the roads are bone-jarring. I needed something that seats more than 2 people (like a pickup), and something with a *functional* transmission (most cars here the transmissions are trashed because many people don't understand what gears are for). So this one fit the bill.

I really like it (once I get all the kinks worked out and I can actually drive it). It's the first time I've had an SUV. I have to say I'm not the type to buy an SUV just to go to the supermarket, and it's never occurred to me to go offroading before, but here in Malawi this is actually the car that I need in order to get around. So I'm pretty psyched.

I knew the previous owner was pretty rough on it so I knew the shocks would be trashed (they are!). Getting new front struts put on as we speak. But my list of other things to replace is growing: rear shocks, rear coils, maybe a lift, maybe bigger tires, bump stops (?). Just on the last drive, the battery *disengaged*, and I lost both a flare and a stabilizer link. Fun stuff. There's something slightly wrong with the brakes, as well as the ABS light keeps coming on . . .

Well, it's turning into a hobby! And I'm really glad to be here at NPORA!

I would attach a photo, but I haven't figured out how to do that here yet. I'll try later.

HI there! Welcome to NPORA! I'd love to see pics...

To post pics you will need to host your images online, if you dont have your own website/space, you can check out www.photobucket.com or www.imageshack.com, where you can host pics for free.

Once you have the pics online, click the IMAGE BUTTON rte-image-button.png in the posting area, it will prompt you for the address of the image you want to post. It will put the image in correct code tags for you, and you should be all set! :aok:

Thanks for the intro!! Pezzy has you covered on the picture info.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who looks forward to helping you get your truck set up the way you need it. From what you said, it may be come recreational as well.

Welcome to the forum. :beer:

B