Very Worried

Kittamaru

Well... here's the deal... being the utter idiot I am... my vehicle is now well over 50k miles without a transmission fluid change. It's at 150k miles... on all stock equipment including the tranny cooler.

Don't get me wrong - she runs and feels great, sounds good dispite an exhaust gasket leak and a leaky gasket between my Y and Straight pipes... and she shifts beautifully...

And I added Lucas addititive to the current fluid...

But...

I really, really want a good, professional drain, flush, and refill... no detergents but flushed with ATF.

My question is... what potential problems will that unveil?

My fluid still smells sweet and it's nice and slick... not abrasive at all and it doesn't smell burnt... so I'm guessing I'm okay. But I REALLY do not want to push my luck...

I've been searching the forums... what is the best, and safest, Do It Yourself method tto flush 100% of the old fluid and replace everything?

I'm always told that if you don't change it for a long time and then you do, it can have bad effects. But when I got my 95, the fluid was BROWN and burnt. I had it flushed, and it seems to run just fine. I have about 18k miles on this fluid. Adding the external cooler is a good idea. I haven't done it yet, but will be in the future. If it runs fine now just get her flushed at a good shop or do it yourself, I had it done cause I didn't feel like getting covered in ATF or spilling half of it on the driveway ( always happens to me).

I'm at 154k miles and it's running as good as a 13 year old trans should.

You can alway pull the pan and see what kind of debris is in the pan, if any. I have flushed several high mileage, burnt fluid, poor shifting transmissions with no problems(mostly Nissan). Now thats not to say something could happen, every unit is different. But if you pull the pan and identify any issues, then you can put it back together, with a new gasket, and fill it as needed. If all is good, call around and find out what kind of machine some facilities use. Do some quick homework and make a choice. Ive used BG and Snap-on machines, and each worked very well.

Know that flushing the trans will not get the transfer case fluid out. That, you will need to drain and fill seperatly. And getting that trans cooler installed would benefit you as well!

Edited by 5523Pathfinder