K&N Cone Filter Installation

statikuz

If you are going to get a snorkle you can't do the cone filter install.

Just get the flat K&N filter for the stock replacement. Then when you get the snorkle you will have to cap the inlets of the airbox off and only have the snorkle as your air inlet.

Alrighty, a couple of questions, the installation's done and the battery's disconnected right now... if anyone else has done this, how did you secure the filter and MAF assembly afterwards? It just kinda bounces around right now, and I don't imagine that can be too good for the MAS. And how is the seal between the filter and the gold plate? I used 3/16" fuel hose 'cuz 1/4" was a little too big, but the nuts and ends of the bolts get in the way of the filter sliding all the way [maybe 1/8" left] onto the plate. Any help? Thanks!

Edit: Mmm, nice and grumbly. =D Maybe I can find some spare metal around here I can bend into a bracket sort of thing. Still open for ideas though.

Edited by statikuz

Alrighty, here's a few pictures of the brackets I made to hold up the intake... yep, I know they look flimsy, but they're definitely holding that thing in place. =D

Another question: can you ditch that stock intake tube that used to go to the airbox? I imagine it'd just leave a big hole in the fender, but is that bad? The only thing I can see is that water would then go straight onto the filter instead of going down through the tube...?

On another note, does anyone know of any 4" intake adapters? I really hate the way the filter fits onto the gold adapter plate with the fuel hose, and I can't help but think it's leaking. Since I'm not going to get a new 3" filter and one of the abundant 3" intake adapters, I was looking for a 4" one to replace the stock gold adapter. Anyone know if they exist?

IMG_7155_r.jpg

IMG_7157_r.jpg

Looking good stats. You could probably fabricate a sturdier brackets out of 1/8 aluminum bar that can be bought at a local hardware store.

Im thinking of going to my local community college here and have an adaptor made.it cant be that hard its just a matter of welding a tubular pipe (4inch) to a plate and drill holes on them for the four corner mounts.Use the factory gold adapter for template.

as a matter of fact there is an online custom fabrication shop,They will fabricate whatever design you have,You just give the measurements .Im going to look for that place in case somebody's interested..

Wait for my next post :D

My thought was to do the cone filter install now with an adapter and take the air box out and keep it intact. Then when I am ready to do the snorkel I can put the airbox in with a new filter and hook up the snorkel. Because the snorkel is way down the mod list! sly

Do you all think you get better performance from the cone filter intake or is it the same as getting a K&N drop in filter?

It was time to clean my K&N drop-in panel filter, and I decided to install my old cone intake filter. I had to ghetto fabbed the MAF adapter I had to get it to work without any leaks using an old aluminum for sale sign, some solder, and lots of silicone. Didn't have any scrap metal around so I just used some speaker wire and suspended the filter. I'll post some pictures up when I get a hold of a camera.

That works too. =D Anyway, I was bored so I did the EMS thing and designed a 4" adapter plate, $78 for high-density plastic, about $96 for aluminum, and $238 for stainless steel.

Ouch. Don't suppose a production run of 1 unit helps either. =D Oh well, I'll figure out something else...

whoa!!! Thats a lot of dough for that plate..Hmmm...Maybe i should just check with my local community college here.

That piece you designed stat is probabl;e one solid piece which means its going to be machined out of solid bar stock..

If only i can get my hands on a set of tig welder ill fabricate a few of these gor you guys too.

Cuong,did you remove the plastic pipe that routes somewhere in the fender well ???

what plastic pipe? There's a resonator box in the fender, that big tube that connects to the hole in the fender, and the resonator pipe that runs atop the fan shroud, which all is removed except for the crap in the fender.

I just got done home from the movies, driving home at night, and the fricking intake filter was hot to touch. well the metal was. I'm probably switching back to my drop-in panel filter...

Hi folks,

This is my first post...I've had my pathy for several years now, but just found this forum the past week. All the enthusiasm has renewed my love for my Pathy. I think I got a pretty good deal on the K&N kit...my first aftermarket mod.

CourtesyParts.com has a "garage" sale on the K&N for 90-95 for $79 + shipping.

You mean the Jim Wolf Technology popcharger. =D Why they're called that, I'm not sure. But I'd just as soon pay the $40 for the K&N filter and be on my way; doesn't look like much else comes with that "kit". Anyway, right on on the upgrade. What exactly did you do though? The K&N cone filter thing discussed above, or the JWT filter?

Yes, picked up the JWT. Came in the mail the other day, but it was damaged. Looks like it got crushed during shipping. I sent it back yesterday for a replacement. It seems to be larger than the K&N pictures posted here. I'll take a pict of it once I get the replacement and install it.

I had to ghetto fabbed the MAF adapter I had to get it to work without any leaks using an old aluminum for sale sign, some solder, and lots of silicone.

I went to the local hardware store and bought a rubber 4" to 3" drain adapter and a three inch plastic drain for the base. Then i used a dremel to fit the two together and some silicone. It cost me about eight 12 bucks all together.

I got around and bought me the JWT pop charger. I still need to fabricate my heat shield and figure how to mount the sunbeech. They supplied the mounting bracket but I haven't figured it out. Anyhow, the the filter opening is something like 8 inches wide or so and utilizes a venturi maf adapter.

I finally got my replacement JWT and installed it this weekend. The bracket that came with it did not work. I made some new ones using the bendable aluminum bars with holes. These are the mounting brackets that come with garage door openers. Left my digital camera at the parent's. I'll upload a pict as soon as I get it.

One thing to be careful about the JWT. Since the screws are configured in a rectangular manner, the holes will line-up between the MAF and JWT assembly in 2 possible ways. However, the rubber ring gasket will only line-up correctly one way. I found this out the hard way today when I brought my pathy in for a NYS inspection. The CO2 emmissions were way off the chart. I brought the pathy home tp disassemble and saw by the mark that the MAF rubber o-ring made was not centered. Deciding not take any chances and blow another $27 I put the orginal filter back and passed w/ flying colors. Came home and reinstalled the JWT. I'm getting really fast installing an air filter. :mellow: