Oil Leak Somwhere

Dale

Well I have a leak but I have no clue where it is. This Pathy is a mess. The funny thing is that for the past 2 months my dip stick has been showing the oil is full but anytime I stop somewhere there is oil left when I leave. I dont see any problems looking under the hood but when I crawl up under it there is oil evervwhere. Anyone have any Suggestions?

Use some degreaser and clean everything up really good, then watch it and see where it's coming from. Most likely from the oil pan gasket, but you might be able to lift it up and look reallly good to find the wet spot or at least where it is the most wet

Edited by kmgar99

gear oil (I assume yours is a 5 spd?) has a pretty unique smell. Could be leaking from tranny and thats why the engine oil always seems to be at normal fill.

If your rig is a 4x4....maybe leaking from the front differential or transfer case.

gear oil (I assume yours is a 5 spd?) has a pretty unique smell. Could be leaking from tranny and thats why the engine oil always seems to be at normal fill.

If your rig is a 4x4....maybe leaking from the front differential or transfer case.

Yea it is a 5 speed...could be gear oil...I was just out looking at it checkin the dope in the front end and it was low maybe comming from that not to sure when I get off work tomorrow I will lift it up and I guess degrease everything under there and clean it up the best I can, and really just check everything that yall suggest. Thanks

Could be leaking from tranny and thats why the engine oil always seems to be at normal fill.

that's my guess

if it is 5sp it could be the tranny, diff, or the clutch. check the res. it's next to the brake booster.

Roll into one of the self service car washes with the power washer stuff. Engine degreaser then high pressure rinse. Will get the oil and everything off really easy.

Yep always a good way to start if you cant find it.

• 2 weeks later...

Something that had me baffled for some time...

Wife took it and changed the oil at one of those "quik lube" joints in town.

It started leaking pretty good after that...

Thought it was the filter...

Turns out the bastards put almost 5 quarts in it. Blew out some seals...but always read FULL.

Ya may wanna make sure you dont have too much oil in it.