Is it easy to change the thermostat on a 90 pathfinder?

NaturaTek

For the 3rd time, my path experience high temp. Temp gauge be normal all of sudden goes way to High, then all radiator fluids gushes out. Like if someone stabbed a big hole. After cooling down, I refill and it's good to go. First time it happened, didn't happen until a couple of months later. Happened 3 weeks ago, then again recently. Someone said to change thermostat, costed me 12$ at Autozone. Is it easy to change this on your own?

I tried to look under radiator to find a drain plug, couldnt see one. I have to take a look at the manual.

Thanks for any info

I don't know what else you have been through to fix this, (i'm assuming you have it posted around here somewhere)

But where is it all flushing out from?

and does anyone have that link to the FSM that he can use?

Replacing the thermostat isn't exactly a walk in the park but it's not rocket science either. I'd say give it a go on yourself if you are comfortable working on your truck.

Mine is a 90 also....

you have to take a lot of stuff off the front of the engine to get to the thermostat....I have never done a t'stat replacement but when I did my knock sensor job I had to take nearly everything off the front and top of the engine and thus saw where the thermostat is located. It's not really hard to do if you typically like to work on cars/engines...just not as easy as on some cars since its 'behind' other stuff.

while you're at it....its a good idea to go ahead and change that bypass hose too!! you can't get to that any other time and it's helpful to take the distributor out (don't forget to mark its location!!) so you have more room to work with....

oh and if I remember right...the drain for the radiator is on the bottom, drivers side of the radiator.....there is a small diameter hose on it too. you cant see it while the skid plate is still in place but you will want to take that off too anyway.

Easy? No.

Doable at home? Yes.

If your are using an aftermarket manual, keep in mind one of them (Chilton or Haynes) is wrong in defining where the thermostat is. It is where 88 described.

I did mine when I took the intake collector off to replace the ACC Valve....

Wasnt exaclty 'fun' but wasnt difficult either.

Took 5 hours start to finish but I did alot of other things while I had the collector off.

Mine is a 90 also....

you have to take a lot of stuff off the front of the engine to get to the thermostat....

in my 89' I only pulled the PS belt, the metal hose the rubber hose above it and the thermo housing above that. yeh it may have been easier if I pulled the fan but oh well. its not too bad, just a tight space. I think you could handle it.