Very tiny fluid ( Oil ) leak, really irritating me...

prginocx

'95 Pathy, 3.0 V6, AC, PB, PS, 5spd, 4X4, SE model i believe...

Source point is the point where the engine and front of the transmission meet, I believe this is the " bell houseing "...There is a tiny hole right at the bottom, almost a rectangular hole. Every time I stop when vehicle is warm, about a half teaspoon leaks out from here. Very irritating, but perhaps a problem to be ignored ?

How can I stop this leak ?

I think it started right after I had the water pump / timing belt done...

Well, if it is the Rear Main Seal, with only about 100k miles on the truck, suppose I just let it leak a bit and replenish the oil ?

What harm is it really doing ?

as long as you keep a CLOSE eye on the oil level at all times, you will be ok short term on the RMS......

unless somehow it sprays out onto the clutch...then you've had a bad day...

Also I'd make sure that its for sure coming out of that little hole and not running down from around the starter area on hte inside of the bell housing from either the valve cover gaskets or oil pressure sending unit...just give it a good inspection before deciding to rip'er apart

would some WD40 fix it? I hear it will at least keep birds out of that little hole...

I would be asking myself ...is it OIL thats leaking, or clutch fluid (brake fluid) as it should be easy to tell from the smell of it (unless you are a bird of course)

oil = rear main seal, or pressure sending unit, or valve cover gaskets.

brake fluid = clutch slave

ok time for bed.

My method for troubleshooting the problem was to scrub the area all over with gas soaked rags, really clean all the dust, grit and other smudge off, then run the truck, then examing the area again. There isn't any fluid coming down from above, it is only coming out of that little rectangular hole, not from above for sure.

I hardly see any decrease in engine oil level between changes, nothing like the 1/2 quart down like on my chevy truck. I never see any decrease in the brake fluid at all. ( Nowadays anyway, I used to have a leak at the rubber hose LF wheel, but I finally fixed that....that was early last year.)

if I'm not mistaken thats the hole to allow for water to drain from after 4 wheeling in deep water areas......so now my guess would be a seal going bad.....its not gear oil right? that typically is much thicker and smells pretty bad. Thought maybe the gearbox was leaking a bit thats all.

maybe try just putting in a heavier weight oil next oil change....I've heard others having good results with small leaks just doing that.....just as a temporary fix anyway.

I would avoid those gimmick stuff additaves you can buy off the shelf ..... they never work and just gunk up the engine.

scrub the area all over with gas soaked rags,

Please don't use gas soaked rags. Modern gasoline is an incredibly toxic carcinogen! It contains bad stuff that will be absorbed into your skin.

Use kerosene, brake cleaner, lacquer thinner, pretty much anything you can get at hardware or auto parts store rather than gas.

I had a pretty hefty RMS leak. I've switched to 10w30, and used Lucas Oil Stabilizer at about 30% dilution (30% Lucas, 70% oil) and it has stopped. Took about 3 oil changes to get it completely.