Annoying Noise

PFCFNG

Ok, I just got hold of a 92 Pathfinder, V6 5 spd a few days ago. Test drive went fine, drive around went fine. Drove about 40 miles at about 80mph and did fine. I finally drove it home (120 miles at about 75mph) and I noticed a ticking coming from the motor upon exiting the freeway. It increased and decreased with RPM. I added Lucas Oil Additive (previous good results w/ other vehicles) to see what would happen. Ticking almost completely disappeared. I can hear the noise on idle after the truck has sat (regardless of air or engine temp) for any period of time. I can also hear it while in motion if the trans is in one of the first 3 gears if the motor is cool. I don't think it is a lifter or pushrod cause it started suddenly, but with no loss of power and no change in the "feel" of the vehicle. Intake gasket leak? Something about these pathy's I don't know? Thanks in advance.

I'll guess the infamous exhaust manifold leak. Lucas oil shouldn't affect it unless it's a lifter or valve, though. Does it do it more from cold start? How about full warm, let it set 1/2 hour then start and drive? More noticable then? These motors are famous for having the crappy exhaust manifold studs breaking/manifold warping...

I can hear the noise on idle after the truck has sat (regardless of air or engine temp) for any period of time.

Ok, I read closer and you answered my question. Mine did the same thing for a while., I could stop at a store and it would tick 10 minutes later, but go away after full warm. Actually, for the last 2 years, it has gone away almost completely. Some people need to change the gasket/some broken studs.

B

Edited by Precise1

If thats the case, yours is bad!! Better double check my guess though.

I did nothing. The leak was minor so I'm guessing it got fouled up enough to plug? Not sure, I just know I don't have the ticking anymore... :shrug:

B

You ever try putting some kind of RTV or gasket sealent in the outside of the manifold as a cheap quick fix? Don't need it to last forever but I can't afford to do it now.

Nope... But if you have a bad leak as I suspect, that will only last a day. Look to see how many studs are left and maybe give them a torque, lightly. The ruined ones will twist off (if they are still attached) but the others may help seal it. Realistically, the only solution once it gets bad is to replace the gasket and studs...

B

I'd say it's most likely one or both of your exhaust manifiold's, I believe the most common side to go on the VG30 was the driver side. They had the same issue on the Maxima engines, same manifold issue.

I worked for Nissan for a few years and I did countless amount of these manifolds, it was easy money, warranty work.

It could be the bolts, the manifold is warped or the manifold itself could be cracked in half, I pulled a lot of them out in two pieces once I got the bolts out.

On the VG30, which you have, it was a lot harder of a job as the bolts would tend to break inside the head and you'd havde to drill them out. At the time I worked for Nissan we were seeing a lot more of them on the VG33 which is the Pathy's from 96-99. They were easier as the bolts would usually always come out no problem, the problem with them was the actual manifold's themselves would warp and/or crack. But I did see a decent amount of warped and/or cracked VG30 manifolds.

RTV won't do a thing, exhaust manifolds are extremely hot and will melt RTV right away. More than likely you won't be able to see where it's leaking anyway or be able to get to it too easy.

At most it will just be an annoying noise, but you may see some worse gas mileage than expected, as the O2 sensor isn't gonna get an accurate reading. Depending on the state you live in, it could cause you to fail inspection also. In NY that would fail as soon as it came in the door.

Just for the hell of it you might want to check with Nissan and see if they may possibly still goodwill it, you never know. Check a couple of different dealers.

Hm... I think I have the same issue and it just got WAAAY worse.

My truck sounds like a godamn two stroke lawnmower... no difference in drivability, just worse mileage and a stupid sound...

Sounds like the same problem. So far if I let her warm up and just drive around town its fine. When it's cold it makes racket. If I cruise on the highway for a long time it makes worse racket. Seems like driving at 80mph for an extended period of time allows one part to expand from heat more than another.

Mine used to be like that - trust me, it'll only get worse...

I am looking now at saving up to have it professionally fixed :(

Let me know how much you end up spending. I will probably do mine myself once I free up the cash and the workspace.

Yup, mine is crazy loud and annoying! i think i'm gonna go take a vid/recording of it to show you how bad it can get. I've heard pathys with the bad tick, but never as bad as mine. I'll send an other post once i get it recorded

LOL, I'm stupid...

Turns out mine is coming from the Y-Pipe and Straight Pipe in my exhaust... blew a gasket down there. Damn lil 4 dollar gasket making all that noise.

heh... go figure.

Yup, mine is crazy loud and annoying! i think i'm gonna go take a vid/recording of it to show you how bad it can get. I've heard pathys with the bad tick, but never as bad as mine. I'll send an other post once i get it recorded

Got that Idea from me didn't you, because I posted my vid on your wall haha.

LOL, I'm stupid...

Turns out mine is coming from the Y-Pipe and Straight Pipe in my exhaust... blew a gasket down there. Damn lil 4 dollar gasket making all that noise.

heh... go figure.

Maybe not so lucky, mine has that leak too and even though we put new gaskets in it still leaks, because the flanges were done. The shop said they could put 20 gaskets in there and it still wouldn't seal right. So they're getting me the new pipes.