Another Ill pathy

unccpathfinder

Ok I did a search and didn't find anything quite like what I've (my cousin) has going on...Shes the caretaker of my 95 for right now and has neglected it for the past month or so and hasnt driven it or started it...well inspection is due so she had to jump it the other day and it drove around town and whatever fine with no indication of a bad alternator...

So today she goes and buys a new battery and installs it for me and calls me up saying that the power locks still don't work and the truck won't crank. So I ultimately write that off as the new battery is bad so I ask her to jump the truck and let it run for 5 mins or so and then try to start it again to see what happens... so while on the phone she pulls up and jumps it with her Chevy and it started up no problem and everything worked

she said she cleaned the battery terminals and they're both on tight and took the battery back and they said it was fine...I still think its the battery though b/c if it would start off of a jump but not off the battery then it has to be the battery...

My past experiences with batteries is I always go through at least 2 before getting one that is good b/c they ultimately have 12V but have a dead cell and the amps are incredibly low

Thoughts/opinions....This sucks that I'm not there to check it out and get'er running

Just talked to her again...everything works in the truck except it will not start off the battery only when its jumped...if its trying to be started on its own the starter will just click (the low power click)

when she took it to get the battery checked he had to jump it off of a boost pack to get it started after checking the battery which I don't have faith in those jackasses checking things like that anyways...He also told her "it sounds like the the starter isn't working" after it started

I will have her check the ground strap

Thanks

The alternator shouldn't have anything to do with a vehicle starting the 1st time a brand new battery is dropped in and she had them check that while they were there (not a pull off and check but the cheesy on vehicle check) and it said good...

I guess I'll have one of my mechanic buddies take a look at it for me....grrr this frustrates me

It sounds to me like the door locks are a separate issue.

I have seen multiple cases where a car would not start even with a new battery unless it was jumped or boosted in some way. The two most common reasons were bad ground connections, as stated above, or starter solenoids.

nope the door locks work perfectly now after the 1st jump start (which tells me the battery charged enough to have enough amps to kick the relays/solenoids)

shes gone through and checked all the connections and cleaned all the corrosion at the battery and on the chassis grounds and still the same results...

Her husband is going to try to check it on this weekend and take the battery back up b/c he's thinking its a bad battery as well and they were just not listening to her since shes a woman but knows how cars work and how to work on them...

If that doesnt work I guess he's going to be pulling the starter to have it checked but I'm pretty sure its still good b/c if the solenoid was bad I dont think it would turn over even with a good battery and she sorta trouble shot that as well by bumping the switch over and over then rocking the truck back and forth and still the same results...she didn't have a multimeter to check the battery with so thats y I/she had to rely on the folks at the parts store

This whole situation has really frustrated me so I think once this issue is resolved I will ship it here to CA and strip it to complete my 87 project while selling the extra parts since the gf will only allow me to have 2 cars here at the house

Well, since the car jumps fine but doesn't start from the battery, it would have to be the battery, no? If it was an electrical connection issue, jumping it shouldn't help. This is one of those 'I need to be there things'. Hopefully it well be resolved easily and soon!!

I think once this issue is resolved I will ship it here to CA and strip it to complete my 87 project while selling the extra parts

If this is the case, PM me with what would be stripped and we'll go from there. I may take the whole thing off your hands...

Thanks Bud. :beer:

B

Well, since the car jumps fine but doesn't start from the battery, it would have to be the battery, no? If it was an electrical connection issue, jumping it shouldn't help. This is one of those 'I need to be there things'. Hopefully it well be resolved easily and soon!!

yea thats my conclusion...

If this is the case, PM me with what would be stripped and we'll go from there. I may take the whole thing off your hands...

Thanks Bud. beer.gif

for sure...it will be almost a complete truck...might be missing a tranny or the engine thats in it right now but will have 1 of 2 engines I have in the house...I've just got to get the OK from the boss...this no offroad BS is killing me

for sure...it will be almost a complete truck...might be missing a tranny or the engine thats in it right now but will have 1 of 2 engines I have in the house...I've just got to get the OK from the boss...this no offroad BS is killing me

Lets talk about that when the time comes. I have a good 95 other than the front end which is a mess, including frame horns. Shipping a tranny and/or engine back to you would probably be cheaper than towing a pathy here (opposed to driving it). I'd want pictures, blah, blah, but you know where I'm coming from. We'll worry about it when it is available, but don't get carried away before you contact me or it may not be worth my dime. Lets see what we can do, eh? :beer"

B

Sounds good...I'll get with you when that time gets closer...I've got to clear out the garage 1st B4 I can even think about doing it...but when the time gets closer (prob a couple of months) I'll let ya know

Finally got an update...she took it to my buddies house and they threw the battery on a 24hr cycle charge dropped it in the truck and nothing better than B4. They then threw a load tester on it and it said bad...took it back and got another battery and its working fine...

I guess my cousin blessed the guy out that told her it was the starter b/c he got smart again and siad I already tested it once and its good...he should have some fun with the manager that checked it and saw it was bad...but I'm glad thats all it was...now onto getting it here after it passes inspection today (knocks on wood)

I'm glad for the 'easy' fix. WTF, where do you get batteries? I have never gotten a bad one and I've bought dozens...

Inspections meaning smog? If so, I hope the air filter is new and the oil was just changed (it makes a big difference)...

*crosses fingers*

B

no smog...its in NC...they flash the lights honk the horn and check for an SES light (sometimes) and sometimes check light alignment and spin the wheels for bearing checks and do a buncha other random checks...ohh yea they look to see if you have a cat and muffler...but 99% of the times I went it was honk the horns and flash the lights...all that other stuff happened the last time I went b/c the guy was like dude dont even bring that in here with that exhaust leak b/c you'll fail and i looked at him and said fail what? and he went on and on how i'd fail OBDII so I was like alright I bet you my inspection price it'll pass and he took it and then tried to find something to make me fail b/c guess what...he stalled it out on the way in the garage so I didnt let him drive it out of the shop and he was pissed about that too...but I got my inspection paid for...a whoping $9

I have had batteries like that from NAPA and Advance (which I hate getting parts) a lot of places don't keep them charged like they should so they can go bad on the shelf...sometimes you can charge them or give the truck a jump and then its all fine and good...but my luck sucks so I always get the bad parts...

but yea easy fix and everything works..except for the locks sometimes (pretty sure its the drivers side switch b/c if she taps it a couple times it works so shes going to check the connector sometime but hasnt yet...