The starter chronicles

mws

We finally got little blue ('95) starting reliably.

To get there, we (well, my nephew and his son) had to do 4 starter changes. Which means many frustrating hours.

Wouldn't start, so the starter was changed with a rebuild from a very reputable local shop - NOT a Kragen or other crappy part vendor. No change, turned out it was more likely a battery issue. New battery installed.

Still had intermittent starting issues, so I started doing electrical testing. The solenoid was getting full 12.6 V but not actuating. Pulled rebuild starter #1 out and took back. They confirmed defective solenoid and exchanged for another rebuild.

Rebuild number 2 started smoking and throwing sparks on the second try. Solenoid had jammed and melted down the armature. Take it out and return again. Paid the difference to get a Beck-Arnley rebuild as I have had good luck with them.

Rebuild 3 worked great. Until it got hot. When the underhood temps were high (like after driving) starter no go. Solenoid clicked, but no turn over or current draw. Classic signs of intermittent open in the coil.

Nephew's son is getting pretty frustrated... So I begged them to buy a BRAND NEW (not rebuild) starter with the offer that if it didn't fix the problem once and for all, I would pay for it. It was something like $170.

New starter is in and working perfect. Took rebuild 3 back to store. Like I said, reputable folks and they refunded full price.

I will never buy another rebuild. The quality has clearly gone all to heck (low bid wins!) and the small starters are much more sensitive to crappy construction.

This week my A/C compressor was found to be leaking. Think I am replacing it with a rebuild? Guess again. I'm coughing up the $360 for a brand new one. The A/C guy I use says he will not even install rebuilt compressors any more unless the customer absolutely insists and signs a waiver. He has had 6 month failure rates as high as 50%.

had to do 4 starter changes. Which means many frustrating hours.

DOH!!!

I have to laugh though, I bet he's good at the whole slide, twist, slide, rotate routine!!!

Maybe he should do a write up. :D

I am listening to your advice. I haven't had to replace many components for years so I'm not up on recent quality issues. Still, I'd rather pay the $, replace the part and not have to fugger with it again for years. My time is wort $ at all times...

B

damn, that's insane. i went straight for the $165 and got king a new starter... my old one had a flat spot. i don't like buying rebuilt stuff like that. i'll pay the x-tra n know what i'm getting the first time.

Edited by Slick

Changed many a rebuilt starter in Nissans and they just dont work. Had the same problem with alternators at one point, but that may have been a supplier. I tell people to buy the new one and they look at me like im insane. But then they would come back and have to pay me twice to repair the vehicle. Im trying to save you money in the begining people....

I took mine apart, stuck new brushes in it and it's been working great to this day. :D

starter1.jpg

That will be my plan when the next one dies - I will dissect and attempt to repair it myself. I did eventually find some sources for Nissan starter components - just not in time to try to do so on little blue. Rebuilding a starter is NOT rocket science and can be successfully done.... I believe the root cause is the majority of consumers demanding the absolute lowest cost combined with parts stores purchasing their parts from the lowest price bidder. I call it the Wal-Mart syndrome. If the customers demand cheap crap, they will eventually get cheap crap.

I was severely disappointed when the Beck Arnley failed. I was hoping/wishing they were sticking to quality above cost. They still charge a premium for their parts - either this was an anomoly or they hired an American style "Business Manager" to optimize short term profits at the expense of quality and long term viability.

Edited by mws

this was an anomoly or they hired an American style "Business Manager" to optimize short term profits at the expense of quality and long term viability.

No sheit!! I've seen it enough, from plant and department managers all the way up CEOs in huge corporations. Make the numbers look good for a little while then get promoted/move to another job/cash in stock options/bonuses and run like hell. Meanwhile, equipment wasn't serviced, key personel were 'downsized' or quit, etc and everything goes to srap.

B

Rebuilding a starter is NOT rocket science and can be successfully done.... I believe the root cause is the majority of consumers demanding the absolute lowest cost combined with parts stores purchasing their parts from the lowest price bidder.

What're you saying, Martin?? "Any dumbass can rebuild a starter...look, 88 did it, there's proof"

lol

That's absolutely NOT what I meant, Aaron! My experience says less than 0.1% of folks have the confidence to learn and do on their own... and only 50% of them can pull it off. So you are way up there.

But as a JOB with proper training and a quality parts supply, it should not be this hard.

Best and easiest way....

Go buy new starter with warranty and have them bench test it in front of you, before you leave the store, remove old starter, replace with new starter...... Follow directions i have typed out several times on this forum....

return old starter for core fee....

now wasnt that easy....

Best and easiest way....

Go buy new starter with warranty and have them bench test it in front of you, before you leave the store, remove old starter, replace with new starter...... Follow directions i have typed out several times on this forum....

return old starter for core fee....

now wasnt that easy....

Yup... the key word being NEW starter. The last one bench tested just dandy - it only failed when it was hot. Even after returning, it still bench tested dandy. We offered to put it out in the sun and get it hot to prove, but they actually took our word on it.

I am willing to bet this turd gets sent back to rebuilder, who will ignore the defect report, bench test it, repackage, and sell it again.... If you don't want it, buy NEW.

Martin: when I worked at Knecht's Auto parts I saw tons of greasy starters and alternators come out of new boxes shipped direct from the supplier. I don't doubt for one second that what you just described happens every day.

Once I bought some rotors for the van that were so warped, straight out of the box, they couldn't shave 'em down and make them useable. They got sent back and I got a refund. The next week I went to a different parts store for a cheaper price and I got the exact same pair in new boxes. I was PISSED. They still had my blue Ford axle grease on the inside of the races and dirty fingerprints on 'em.