okay, i have alittle mystery with my car?

Coucoui6

i have a strange clunking sound in the rear of my pathy for sometimes now. the sound only happends went i've had 2 adult people or my car is a bit on the loaded side. i cant seem to find it. i looked at all the suspension parts and every think looks good. nothing is loose... the sound is comming from the center rear. it would clunk every time my path go over a speed bump. it really sounds like its coming from the rear diff area.

i know this is a pretty hard question to give an answere.

thanks,

coucoui 6

my first guess would be the upper or lower control arm bushings, but you have to disconnect them to inspect....it can be hard to tell with them in place. if a bushing gets a split in it....it can sometimes work fine, and sometimes "klunk" as it will if enough load is put on it. On my 90, when they went bad, just looking at them they looked fine, but once unbolted so you could see the entire bushing....it was obvious they were blown apart from age and dryrot.

I would say one of the muffler/exhaust hangers is busted.

i do have and after market cat back exhaust done by a muffler shop. i was looking at that yesterday after i posted my tread. i thought the top hump of the rear sway can hit a pipe.

i did not see any obvious metal rubbing marks but i will recruit my wife to help bound on the rear of the pathy to see it its a possibility...

now some of my exhaust hangers are broken. i've use small hose clamps to hold the tail pipe up in place. i may need to re inspect it. or use some more support.

thanks.

coucoui6

i do have and after market cat back exhaust done by a muffler shop. i was looking at that yesterday after i posted my tread. i thought the top hump of the rear sway can hit a pipe.

i did not see any obvious metal rubbing marks but i will recruit my wife to help bound on the rear of the pathy to see it its a possibility...

now some of my exhaust hangers are broken. i've use small hose clamps to hold the tail pipe up in place. i may need to re inspect it. or use some more support.

thanks.

coucoui6

Good thing about the clamps is they are an easy fix. bad thing is they dont last forever. I am in the same boat as you.

my first guess would be the upper or lower control arm bushings, but you have to disconnect them to inspect....it can be hard to tell with them in place. if a bushing gets a split in it....it can sometimes work fine, and sometimes "klunk" as it will if enough load is put on it. On my 90, when they went bad, just looking at them they looked fine, but once unbolted so you could see the entire bushing....it was obvious they were blown apart from age and dryrot.

you may have a good point... i will take a closer look after double checking my exhaust out.

thanks.

when I changed my control arm bushings, I went ahead and ordered the panhard rod bushings too figuring they are probably shot from age also....but to my surprise, they were perfectly fine when I took the rod off.....so I just bolted it back up and put the new bushing in my workbench drawer for a later day :)

I guess its because the control arms take more abuse than the panhard rod does.

but it sure is nice not having that annoying klunking anymore!

okay... last night i had a change to fix my sagging exhaust with a new 7" hose clamp and some smaller ones. the 7" was able to loop around my rear frame and a mid section pipe. now my exhaust is not going to be an issue anymore. but was that the true cause of my clunking should... not sure.

since i was down there...i use a large flat head screwdriver and attempted to inspect the upper trail arm (control arm) that is attached to the top of the rear axl. i was able to shift the arm quite a bit more on the bushing to the frame. so maybe i will need to change that also.

i do know that my panhard rod is okay... i took that off just 2 wks ago and the bushing was fine.

thanks

coucoui 6

I had a klunking noise about 3 weeks ago...its turns out it was the shock bushings...check those.

my shocks are only about a year old. so i know their still good.... thanks.

update. my exhaust remedy did not fix the clunk..... i think its a bushing to the top control arms now.

:thumbsdown:

i wonder if my rear clunking is from the control arm/ trail arm bushings... how much damage would i do if i just left them broken? i must say the clunking is pretty annoying!!!

The nissan mechanic I have showed me how my rear end (the pathys.....not mine) would move back and forth when he gave it some gas and with one foot on the brake, let out the clutch some, and the real axle on the drivers side actually moved back and forth while the vehicle stayed put. "Oh damn yeah I see that!" was my remark. Probably wont damage much of anything but you wont be able to get an alignment job done correctly with it loose like that and in my case, it acutally made my rig unstable on the road since the geometry was going out of whack whenever I stepped on the gas.....made the rear end 'wiggle' or go off in another direction due to the axle shifting out of square. Talk about annoying!!

My LOWER arm bushing were what was shot any my uppers still looked fine so I just left them as is.

I ordered new bushings from Rock Auto Parts and changed them out myself .... although it was a bit of a pain in the ass to knock the old ones out and insert the new ones. Had to grind out the space a bit so the new (slightly fatter) bushings could be pressed in. Still better than paying for new arms ($$$$$ for what they are...).

HUGE difference though once it was done....so nice to have a normal ride again and klunk-free.

• 3 weeks later...

Chriskaw440,

i just ordered my rear trail arm bushing from 4x4parts.com. i got 2... one for each side. my wife is not beefy enough to help rock the pathy's rear end and the clunk is worse. so i'm tired of hearing it. i will check the lower rear trail arm once i get the new urethane part...

thanks for you input.

coucoui 6

good to hear. Well mine would mostly klunk when starting out from a dead stop....(putting a load on them....causing the axle to 'pop' forward) and just bouncing the rear end (the pathfinders...not my wifes) up and down would not be enough to make anything move out of place.

once you get started...I would take each arm off (one at a time) and inspect the bushings...if you see any signs of cracks / dry rot in the rubber....then the bushing is shot.

This is a pretty common issue with the older pathfinders and luckily, with some common tools and patience....a pretty cheap and easy fix. Has to be done anyway as like I mentioned before...no competent shop could do a proper alignment with the rear end loose like that.

-Chris

• 1 month later...

okay... i just want to report that the mystery is gone.... i finally got around to replace my rear upper trial arm with some urethane ones... i did take the bottom trail arms out and its okay not great. some cracks but small. i think will do those later.

fyi... i took my trial arms to two shop to have them press the old bushings out... everyone wanted to charge me min. 1 hr at $95.00 per hr rate. wow. inflation . i thought shops was only just 55-65 per hr. i never thought the current rate would be $95.

• 2 weeks later...

okay... the mystery is back.

the top trail arm bushing did help, but last week i had to pick up family at the airport with luggages. and guess what? the klunking sound came back. so my next move is to replace the lower trail arm bushing and re evaluate the pan hard rod also.

if it still "klunks" than i'm out of suggestions.