why are my cv boots ripping?

jgt

Just had 3 of my 4 boots rip. So I had brand new axles installed. Hasn't been 1 tank of gas, now 2 of these have ripped. They replaced the axles, ball joints (upper and lower) 1 tie rod end and the centerlink at the same time. I used the 4wd in sand the other day for like 1 minute max. I think that's doing something. Any ideas? It was done at the college shop, so it was students doing it. Could they have done anything to cause this? My last cv's only last 10k and that's not 4 wheelin' like you guys. Thanks, julie

I never put a lift on it, but I'm wondering if the torsion bars were cranked up a bit by the previous owner. That's a good one to bring up to the mechanic. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing happening? Thanks

As MZ said, something must be ripping them. Check for anything hanging down, or the clamps themselves rubbing on something.

Only other thing I can think of (and you would probably notice if this were the case from the noise) would be if the CV was either stripped out inside or not assembled correctly and slipping out of the splines and twisting the shaft till the boot breaks free by ripping.

thanks a ton guys. I will certainly look under the truck in the am and see if the clamps were cut or it something is hanging down on it. I suppose I should have the torsion bars checked also when I get these boot changed. Oh well, so much for saving a few bucks and having students at the CC do it. :tired:

uhmm, update, ima stupid noob. :hide: So I finally get a day off and get a pair of gloves on to better inspect my boots. They are not ripped. There was tons of green grease all along the creases of the cv boots, so I assumed that's where they were oozing from. When I wiped it off, there was no tear. I'm not talking a little grease, like someone took a huge handful of grease and splattered it under my truck. anyhow, like I had mentioned the tie rod end and upper/lower ball joints were replaced as was the centerlink. So I have no idea where that grease came from, it look just like the green goop that came in the package when we replaced the boot last year. Anyhow, I'll just keep an eye out for where that's coming from, but can't find a tear when I run my finger across the boots. The ball joints/centerlink doesn't use that type of grease does it? Thanks for the input. -julie

no but that worries me as that grease should have been inside the boot filling the CV joint.. it sure shouldn't have been outside, it doesn't do it any good at all. i'd almost want a look inside to make sure they put at least some grease in the joint. hmm