New to Pathfinders..a couple qustions

2bit

Hey!

I don't really undertsand how the front suspension works on my 94 pathfinder. I'm shopping around for a lift right now and i'm not too sure what I need. Some kits come with the whole works (uca, torsion bars, coils) while some just come with uca's and some coils for the rear. By just installing the new upper control arms will I gain lift? Or are these just to help align it after I crank the factory torsion bars??

All i've worked on is my '91 Ford 4x4, so this weird 'control arm' suspension stuff is a little confusing... :lol:

Thanks for any help.

the uca is there to fix the angle after a big tweak to the torsion bars.

searh around the forums you will find all kinds of good info. :)

Right, thats kind of what I thought. Buy the uca's and screw with your factory torsion bars, or buy the more exspensive kit and install new torsion bars as well to screw with.

Right, thats kind of what I thought. Buy the uca's and screw with your factory torsion bars, or buy the more exspensive kit and install new torsion bars as well to screw with.

Any aftermarket torsion bar will provide a stiffer ride than stock. This is often reccomended to counteract the weight of heavy bumpers and winches. If your looking to save $$ just get UCA's(crank on stock bars), Rancho 2" lifted shocks and Jeep Grand Cherokee coils from a junker. (use the search to find out which year/model coil specs etc)

If you want the complete package and your not as consiervetive on $$$ I'd look into the Calmini setup. I comes with everyting above, t-bars, panhard relocator, brake line extensions and more.

Basics: to lift the front, crank up the torsion bars. Aftermarket upper control arms are for correcting the angles of the suspension and allow it to be properly aligned afterward. To lift the rear, get new coil springs or install spacers on the stock springs. Longer shocks in the rear aid rear axle articulation, stock length front shocks work fine because front suspension travel doesn't increase when lifted. Remove or disconnect swaybars for max suspension travel when wheeling.

31" tires fit fine on stock WD21's (87-95), to fit 33's without rubbing and tearing up tires/sheetmetal a 3" body lift and a 3" suspension lift is recommended. I ran 33x10.5's on my Pathy with only a 3" body lift for a while but 3+3 is the best ticket to prevent problems and excessive fender trimming.

thats one thing i still can't get through my head. you can comfortably fit 31"s stock but it take a total of 6" of lift to do a 33". just don't understand it in my simple mind.

Thanks for all the answers.

I have my lifted F150 for abusing off road. My pathy is "supposed" to be my dd but you know how that is. So I just orderd a 3" BL for it, figured it would be best suited for me. Probably throw some 32's in there and call her done.

thats one thing i still can't get through my head. you can comfortably fit 31"s stock but it take a total of 6" of lift to do a 33". just don't understand it in my simple mind.

The wheelwells are designed to fit 31's with a MINIMUM of clearance. My 31's used to rub before I lifted it. 33's will eat sheetmetal when the suspension cycles. There's just not enough room.

The wheelwells are designed to fit 31's with a MINIMUM of clearance. My 31's used to rub before I lifted it. 33's will eat sheetmetal when the suspension cycles. There's just not enough room.

got sawzall?