Winch bumper build up

Looks excellent NissanNut

UPS drops off my winch tomorrow!

Picking up steel on Saturday for both bumpers and a rack.

Thanks for all the info here and on your site, will make it go much smoother!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there NissanNut, hows the progress going?

Do you have any more pics yet?

Its been a great build and has certainly inspired me to do something very similar to my truck soon.

With mine I was thinking of making the brackets and winch base as one unit, bolting the winch to it, then bolting the bumper to the framework.

The reason for this is that it will allow me to tuck the winch back as far as possible to the radiator and then have the hollow section of the bumper wrapping over it as per the cut-out section etc.

What's your thoughts on this?

Edited by kiwipete

Hey there NissanNut, hows the progress going?

Do you have any more pics yet?

Its been a great build and has certainly inspired me to do something very similar to my truck soon.

With mine I was thinking of making the brackets and winch base as one unit, bolting the winch to it, then bolting the bumper to the framework.

The reason for this is that it will allow me to tuck the winch back as far as possible to the radiator and then have the hollow section of the bumper wrapping over it as per the cut-out section etc.

What's your thoughts on this?

Thanks, I think thats what I did basically. I built my first bumper starting at the brackets. This one was much easier starting with a nice level surface then adding brackets later.

I did take the bumper off and weld it up last week and added some quick paint to prevent rust. Keeps raining here.

tacked.JPG

brackets_painted.JPG

painted.JPG

Been working on some other projects. Added a sway bar, 4.9 gear installs (firends pathy), wheel spacers, PS power increase and fixing bad electrical connections on battery, , sticking calipers, warped rotor, fixed flashing dome light. The bumper will be on the list again soon.

Its looking better every time I see it. Well done.

Did you re drill the mounting holes out for the origional bumper irons? If I am right here, how did you gain access to the chassis section to drill them? When I look at mine there is a section of body in the way for accessing the top bolts, or did you just do the lower bolts?

No drilling to frame or body. I use the stock 4 bumper bolts. And the 4 bolts on the bottom of frame were Tow hooks go. 8 total.

brackets_painted.JPG

Ok, I just asked because mine looks like it has smaller holes where this (end) one is visible. Mine looks like M8 or M10 bolts and I thought they looked a tad on the thin side.

I spose I could always drill out this end one easily enough for added strength if needed as the top one is only really a locater one..

Where did u get the emblem? Ive been trying to find a replacement since mine got knocked off

Ebay, I bought all different sizes. I think its from a D40. I like to modernize my vehicles in every way. R134, new emblems etc. I just love the new style. I have one at both ends of my 92 and 93. :jig:

Ok, I just asked because mine looks like it has smaller holes where this (end) one is visible. Mine looks like M8 or M10 bolts and I thought they looked a tad on the thin side.

I spose I could always drill out this end one easily enough for added strength if needed as the top one is only really a locater one..

Oh the factory bumper bolts are small. But there reinforced with the lower bolts. The 9k winch mounting bolts arent much bigger. 10mm I think. I have been running the same setup on the truck for years. I could add one extra bigger bolt/nut up high. I look into it before I use a winch on it.

I am going to plate that stock piece that has a open hole.

Oh the factory bumper bolts are small. But there reinforced with the lower bolts. The 9k winch mounting bolts arent much bigger. 10mm I think. I have been running the same setup on the truck for years. I could add one extra bigger bolt/nut up high. I look into it before I use a winch on it.

I am going to plate that stock piece that has a open hole.

Yes that top open hole is a bugger of a setup because I have done a 2" body lift it is bloody hard work trying to get a socket to the head of that bolt now.

I will be leaving that one alone as it is, but will still think about enlarging the end one all the same, just because access is so much better.

You are right about the lower bolts on the chassis, they are much beefier and fine threaded. On my first winch setup I used the side bolts as well as the bottom bolts, but it was a real bugger getting them all to line up. I had to make several cardboard templates and still cocked it up, had to drill two oval holes. lol

Yeah BLs make it hard to use those bolts. I dont use BLs anymore. I had them on other Nissans years ago.

Its a case of having to use a BL here as we are restricted in what we can get certed and the cost of a SAS is prohibitive here too.

Anyways hows the progress going, I really want to see how its looking with the winch mounting. :aok:

I read about some countrys dont allow welded steering components etc.

I had to add a sway bar so the bumper got put on hold. I have a wheeling trip planned 8/2 so I plan to add the winch from the truck and I made some bumper ends I need to add.

• 4 weeks later...

I weighed the bumper. Its 60lbs. I reinforced the mounts and added the winch from the truck with a new fairlead and synthetic.

flexy_test.JPG

I want to move it higher. But will have to cut the grill and or move it farther outward.

What do you think? Should I raise it 1". I hate the gap under the lights.

that turned out really nice! I like the extra arch over the winch you added to mount up lights ;) It is also considerably lighter than the ARB. I bet yours plus the winch weighs in a shade heavier than an empty ARB

do you have to cut the grille to make room for the winch? If it's not too much work i would move it up.

Edited by skrillaguerilla

I am going to move it up eventually I think. I will have to cut the grill if I do. Right now the grill comes off and the lights unbolt and the winch comes right out. Its a nice snug fit but very easy to do. Most bumper like this require winch install BEFORE the bumper goes on.

I also need to still add D mounts and re attach the lower mounts. I removed them because it was akward installing the bumper.

The bumper is 60lbs. The empty winch is 40lbs. Mile marker 8k. Not sure how much it weighs after I installed the synthetic rope. The old fairlead and wire rope was HEAVY!

Here you can see I butchered the winch solenoid box to fit.

flexy1.jpg

Here you can see I smacked it on the rocks.

flexy2.jpg

No clearance issues on bumper.

flexy3.jpg