Installation of front pushbar?

zeppelindrummer

I've always loved the look of just the pushbar on the pathys. (Like 88pathoffroads')

last week i found one on Craigslist for ten bucks! i bought it, and it looks like it wont be too difficult to mount. i'm just not sure how to do it.... i'm thinking i'll build some steel brackets but... i don't really know. any ideas on how to get this mounted? It has some steel pieces that come out with holes, that almost perfectly fit the holes for the bumper.. but they're a bit rusted, and don't seem like they'll be too strong.

pushbar1.jpg

pushbar12.jpg

pushbar3.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by zeppelindrummer

Sheesh, that looks pretty close. You might adding/subtracting material to those mounting tabs, or simply boring out the holes if they're close enough to match up to the bumper mounts. You really want to be solid there, and/or otherwise tie into solid metal or the frame. The later rigs don't have those bumper bolts to tie into, so you have to come off of the tow hook bolts below the bumper. Regardless, those type bars often are not very strong anyways when attached to the bumper, unless you tie into the tow hook bolts. They should hold a set of lights and look just fine, though.

Pickles is right.

What you're doing, is effectively lessening your approach angle by extending the front end of your truck. The first time you hit something with that thing (and you will) you'll destroy the bumper, and the mounts behind it.

Get it attached to the frame horns (as Mr. P said, where the stock tow hook is attached) and cut off the useless mounts at the bumper. I'd even go so far as to leave a little gap (1/2" or so) between the bumper and the push bar, so that when it flexes (and it will) when you hit something (see above :tongue:) it doesn't jam into your bumper.

Edited by Simon

thanks guys! i think i'm going to bore out the holes, and get some steel plates, with the holes to match the two mounting tabs, and i can put that in front to serve kind of as a washer? i think that will improve the strength as well. I might also go about making some L type steel brackets and putting some new holes in the top of my bumper and sides of the pushbar, connecting the sides with the top of the bumper.

what do you guys think?

i had a setup kind of like that on my hardbody at one point in its life, still don't know what the pushbar was truely for. i just strait welded it to the front bumper at first until someone backed into it at a mall parking lot. bent the crap out of the bumper. bent the bumper back kind of close to strait(took a body man to tell it wasn't right) extended it do the frame with some steel, a plasma cutter, and a welder. held up on and off road like a champ until i changed the front end to 93+ style hardbody.

• 2 weeks later...