Alarm System?

Kittamaru

Aighty, I have a small switch that I believe is an alarm - it has a small red light above it and three selections:

Alarm Off

Impact off

Alarm On

Only thing is, it's not even MENTIONED in the '90 owners manual I have... or in the 93 manual I have either (from a junk'ed pathy my mechanic had on his lot for a while)

I'm curious - is it possible it's a third party addition? Also - any advice on how I'd use it?

I'm in a bit of a bind - I just moved in with my Fiance, and my mother is on a damned warpath - she's threatening to try to take MY pathfinder back, even though she SOLD IT to me and the title is in MY NAME exclusively! I have the paperwork to prove it.

SO

I'm parking it beside my fiance's house, fully on her property (read, in the grass) with the intent that, should my mother attempt to steal the vehicle back, we'll simply call the cops (yes, things in my house have gotten THAT fskced up) I'd LOVE to be able to use the alarm too... since I know she doesn't even know it's on the vehicle.

Any advice / ideas?

Oh? What's the alarm do?

I'm tempted to wire in a kill switch to the battery via a relay... have it cut the ground out at the battery terminal. No ground, no current flow :D

Mostly it's supposed to scream and yell if someone opens the doors, hatch, or hood. Note that it doesn't surveil the rear GLASS, just the metal hatch.

Unfortunately, it has a 15 to 30 second delay, during which if the offending door is closed, it simply resets without ever having made a noise whatsoever. Pretty much worthless. Especially in your case, where the potential thief might have a key. Why? Because if you start the car during that time... it never goes off. Starting the car will also shut up the alarm if it is already sounding.

It also has no glass break detection and the impact sensing is pretty bad too.

Edited by GhostPath

Aighty, I have a small switch that I believe is an alarm - it has a small red light above it and three selections:

Alarm Off

Impact off

Alarm On

That kind of made me chuckle a little bit. Good luck with the crazy mom bud.

I actually have the original manual for that system in my rig. As stated above, it really only tells you when a door was opened without the key being turned to acc.

I am always setting the damned thing off for stupid reasons. Say I want to get something from the back really quick, if the alarm is set, I would have to go and turn the key to acc, or the thing starts honking.

Let me know if you want a scanned copy of that manual though, just for information purposes. (that includes anyone else too)

indigent.

The impact on mine seems very sensitive. The alarm sounded just when I had my other car idling next to my pathy. :shrug:

seems unusual to me but I just turned it off anyway and never use it. (I don't tell that to my insurance co. though)

• 4 weeks later...

Alarm Off

Impact off

Alarm On

Only thing is, it's not even MENTIONED in the '90 owners manual I have... or in the 93 manual I have either (from a junk'ed pathy my mechanic had on his lot for a while)

I'm curious - is it possible it's a third party addition? Also - any advice on how I'd use it?

I'm in a bit of a bind - I just moved in with my Fiance, and my mother is on a damned warpath - she's threatening to try to take MY pathfinder back, even though she SOLD IT to me and the title is in MY NAME exclusively! I have the paperwork to prove it.

SO

I'm parking it beside my fiance's house, fully on her property (read, in the grass) with the intent that, should my mother attempt to steal the vehicle back, we'll simply call the cops (yes, things in my house have gotten THAT fskced up) I'd LOVE to be able to use the alarm too... since I know she doesn't even know it's on the vehicle.

Any advice / ideas?

on my 95 i have the same thing in the middle console. the weird thing is, if i go to unlock my truck and i dont start it right away. within a min the alarm will go off and the only way i am able to turn it off is turn it on or put the key in the door and lock it and unlock it again..its weird. and i called the nissan dealership gave em my vin number and asked if it had a security system and they said no...so it makes no sense to me..so i just finally cut the damn thing