Step Bars? Side Rails?

Please excuse my ignorance.

Does anyone know what the black chrome bars are called on both sides of most SUVs that aid passengers getting in and out of the vehicle. For lack of a better term they are step up bars or side rails.

Are these available for a '91 Pathfinder? Where would I purchase them? Any ideas on the costs? Does a '91 Pathfinder have body mounts for these?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

They're called step bars or nerf bars, but they don't do much else than give you a place to step and look pretty... if you hit anything substantial with them, they'll buckle, usually right into your rocker panels. I'm not sure what the compatibility of the years are, but you can get some off eBay, or ask around here and someone might have a set they're looking to get rid of. If you want a better option, get some rock sliders fabricated. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW

My '91 came with the factory nerfbars, and the first time I slid on a rock with them, they were not damaged (except some paint scratches) but they flexed enough for the front end of the bar to dent the body panel under the driver's door. The funny thing is that they were not permanently displaced...the nerf bar is not tweaked at all, just the small body dent. wierd.

Statikuz- your dent is almost exactly what I got, except on the drivers side...

So How exactly do sliders differ from Nerf Bars? are they mounted differently? Or are they just more stiff? They seem like they would be a pretty good investment either way...

yeah I fabbed those up ...

it's not as hard to do as you think, and even if you dont have access to a tubing bender, you can buy prefabbed bends in all different radius' and thickness' ... you only have to be a marginal welder in order to do these things your self ...

yeah I fabbed those up ...

it's not as hard to do as you think, and even if you dont have access to a tubing bender, you can buy prefabbed bends in all different radius' and thickness' ... you only have to be a marginal welder in order to do these things your self ...

How many frame attachment points do you have there. Could you by any chance take a close up of those.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Nah, I don't think so... as far as I know it has to do with the way the stock nerf bars mount to the frame; they have a wraparound bracket sort of thing that just isn't suited to force from the bottom up; I guess you could just weld the hell out of them and hope they stand up, but I'm not sure how that would work out. =D