1990 Pathfinder SE

Strydr

Last night I picked up a running 1990 Pathfinder SE with 377,000km for $600, that I plan to build up into my offroad truck, instead of my 05' F-150. The woman sold it because she got into 2 small head on accidents while learning how to drive/park. No major damage as you can see in the 2nd picture, nothing a hammer can't smooth out. I just need some opinions or direction on where to get parts or what parts to get.

I usually offroad in muddy, grassy and wet areas, a bit of rock crawling and of course in the snow (good ol' 6 months of winter here!) Just browsing the forums, I notice alot of people are doing 3+3. I'm looking at the Calmini 3" SL, but I haven't found any 3" BL as of yet. Is anyone running 35s with 3+3? cutting is a must I'm guessing. I was reading that I should replace the manual locking hubs if I do any type of lift, anything else I should looking at? Thanks ahead of time.

pathfindersideshot.jpg

pathfinderfront.jpg

i think the cheapest would be use the rough country uca's, and some junkyard jeep grand cherokee coils for the suspension, then get a 3" body lift from 4x4parts.com

you will want to reinforce the steering if you are gonna wheel with 33's or 35's

search around the garage section for usefuls tips

Well, first off, I'd look for a rusty frame (rear wheel well area) and rust under the back seat. Also, check underneath your Pathy (so you don't have to pull up the carpet) for holes in the drivers footwell and underneath the rear seats. There have been several cases of rotted out floors. I'd make sure to check said issues, especially considering the amount of rust that is visible on the exterior of the vehicle. If it's gonna be your offroad rig, and you or a buddy has some experience with SAS... SAS the pig (if you're going to be doing more crawling than mud). Check the timing belt, to see when it has been done last. This would be my first fix or "preventative maintenence".

You may want to look a little closer at that front end. I'll bet your radiator support looks a wet noodle.

You won't get the full picture until try to replace that D-side headlight… or strip the doghouse.

A replacement is relatively cheap, but kind of a bugger to install.

Then again, if you're not worried about the cosmetics and it tracks fine, just slap on a set of fog lights and let'er ride.

Good luck anyhow!

• 4 weeks later...

LOL...she(?) used the truck AS training wheels!

I just picked up a '90 w/ 249,000 miles for $500. The former owner apparently thought it was a garbage dump but the sheetmetal and running gear are all gtg so far.

But not nearly as good as my '92 w/310,000 original owner miles.

LOL...she(?) used the truck AS training wheels!

I just picked up a '90 w/ 249,000 miles for $500. The former owner apparently thought it was a garbage dump but the sheetmetal and running gear are all gtg so far.

But not nearly as good as my '92 w/310,000 original owner miles.

i just picked one up for 800 180K 31"s and a 3.5" body lift alrdy on it

nice catch tho lol shes needs to learn to drive

Yeah from the looks of it the former owner has serious problems parking (or driving)!!

she needs to revert back to a bicycle.....with training wheels on it.

personally I think that 1990 was about the best year for these rides. Mine has 245,000 miles on it and still going strong and pretty much still looks like new.

110% reliable. and not bad on gas.