Odometer / Trip Odometer issue

prginocx

Sometimes both of my odometers quit working. Resetting the trip doesn't help, and in fact this problem has been ongoing since December of last year, so I know that sometimes resetting the trip odometer CAUSES both of them to quit working. When they quit, the first thing I notice is the 10ths white numeral quits moving.

My NPORA recommended solution is to WAIT until the vehicle is Off and Stopped ( Why ? ) then rap/pound sharply on the top of the dash directly above where the speedometer/odometer/trip odometer assy is located. A few tries of this and it usually starts working until the trip odometer goes above 999, and usually quits again.

How can I troubleshoot this problem ?

Sometimes both of my odometers quit working. Resetting the trip doesn't help, and in fact this problem has been ongoing since December of last year, so I know that sometimes resetting the trip odometer CAUSES both of them to quit working. When they quit, the first thing I notice is the 10ths white numeral quits moving.

My NPORA recommended solution is to WAIT until the vehicle is Off and Stopped ( Why ? ) then rap/pound sharply on the top of the dash directly above where the speedometer/odometer/trip odometer assy is located. A few tries of this and it usually starts working until the trip odometer goes above 999, and usually quits again.

How can I troubleshoot this problem ?

Your speedometer is always working right?

Maybe the gear's need to be lubed up or they're jamming when the trip meter rolls over to 000 or gets reset. Mine did this once, try removing the cluster and checking it out.

Your speedometer is always working right?

Maybe the gear's need to be lubed up or they're jamming when the trip meter rolls over to 000 or gets reset. Mine did this once, try removing the cluster and checking it out.

Yep, Speedo is always working fine. When I rap on the top of the dash area it does kinda jiggle the tiny numerals around for the trip odometer. Usually it starts working again. Where does the signal come in for this ? Is it a speedo cable from the transmission ?

didnt read everyones post, but i had the same issue with my 95 SE, my speedo went haywire, odometer, even gas hand went hairy, I picked up a cheap 94 XE with over 350,000km and swapped the whole dash cluster. Everything works great now, the only thing i dont like about doing a used swap, is the odometer reads approx 100,000km more then my SE has.

*EDIT*

I originally thought myself it was the speedo cable as well. But everything in my dash cluster was electronic, before you go out and do whatever you will.. maybe spend an arm and a leg, hit the wreckers and grab a dash cluster and try it out.. theres nothing to removing and replacing. One of the quicker/easier fixes and if thats not the problem then its process of elim my friend.

Edited by SkotZ

I thought it was a bear to remove/replace the dash cluster. My Honda Accord was a nightmare, and so was my wife's Taurus [ Nominated for junk car of the decade ].

How do you remove the instrument cluster ?