rear swaybar disconnect?

Coucoui6

okay, i know if you disconnect one side is all you need? but disconnecting both sway bar links is the best. it will release the rear axle even more. but here is my question?

if you disconnect both swaybar links at the beginning of a trail, will that cause your swaybar to hang down to the point of caution? ie. hitting a rock with the swaybar at the link attachment point?

:shiftyeyes:

also the obvious process is to try it? but my end link nuts are rusted on and i've stripped them trying to remove it. i need to cut them off next and get a new end link.

so i don't know the answer to my question.

take out the whole sway bar and toss in trash... done!

amen. then, you too could have an ass like this.......... (i actually broke 1 side of mine before removing the whole thing)

KingFlex6.jpg

I too have no sway bars front and rear on my 95 model, but I have kept them safe and secure as sometimes the WOF people ask that they be re-fitted.

Here are some shots of mine after we did the body lift, it has a 2" suspension and body lift with no sway bars.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z218/ki...pg?t=1211061676

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z218/ki...pg?t=1211061775

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z218/ki...pg?t=1211061829

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z218/ki...pg?t=1211061876

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z218/ki...pg?t=1211061915

You will have to re-adjust the hand brake cable hangers to allow for all this extra flex on the rear. I learnt about this when I over stretched the cables and one side rubbed against the rear muffler. You will see what I mean when you look under your truck at full flex.

amen. then, you too could have an ass like this.......... (i actually broke 1 side of mine before removing the whole thing)

i want a kick ass ... ass like your picture, but i really want my sway bars for road driving. even going to the trails i have to get there by hwy.

i like your picture.

kiwipete, you have some very nice pictures ... i like your rear end flexing...

do you have a picture underneath so i can see how you tucked your rear swaybar out of the way?

i really would like for my rear to flex alot more. i guess i just need to get the quick disconnect linkage from 4x4parts.com or buy some stock ones so i can take the links on or off. like i stated earlier... my current stock ones are rusted on by the top bolt. and i've already stripped out trying to remove it. next thing to do is cut it out.

i want a kick ass ... ass like your picture, but i really want my sway bars for road driving. even going to the trails i have to get there by hwy.

i like your picture.

So do those of us without the sways. On the hwy you're fine, where you have to watch is the curvey roads. When you see the signs with a curve and 35 posted, you'll want to go 35! I asked the guy following me to the trail yesterday if I leaned a lot; his eyes got big, he giggled and said, "just a little". Once you get used to going without, you get the feel of the curve limits of your truck. Hell the first time I hit the road after removing mine I was going 70mph down the hwy and a guy in a old truck pulled right in front of me going 50, I swerved into the next lane and kept going, no issues.

kiwipete, you have some very nice pictures ... i like your rear end flexing...

Yikes! :itsallgood:

do you have a picture underneath so i can see how you tucked your rear swaybar out of the way?

Nope! I removed it totally, and the front one too.

i really would like for my rear to flex alot more. i guess i just need to get the quick disconnect linkage from 4x4parts.com or buy some stock ones so i can take the links on or off. like i stated earlier... my current stock ones are rusted on by the top bolt. and i've already stripped out trying to remove it. next thing to do is cut it out.

Another option is to use some factory disconectors from a Safari (I don't know what these are called in the US sorry). They release with a cable like, operated similar to the bonnet release.

I'm making a mount to hold it; asked the very same question a week ago on AC!-)

AC recommends a bungee cord... Next I need all the reflectors in my wheel spokes!

Bungee will let it bounce around I'll send ya a few pics when I'm done.

I need the swaybar for towing and highway driving (95% HWY for me) and @sspipes in Milwaukee can't drive.

I just sawzalled the old ones out instead of wrenchin' rusty bolts

Edited by MikeVanceinWI

i like your picture.

i drive king 50 miles a day to work n back. he is a perfect gentleman..... as GG said, you just can't drive em like a race car round corners anymore... i am getting used to king's handling now i have actually been driving him everyday, and it's not bad at all. just can't getcher swerve on as much.

sway bar on:

PICT0179.jpg

PICT0178.jpg

sway bar in dumpster:

DSCF1497.jpg

DSCF1501.jpg

DSCF1504.jpg

I daily drive my pathfinder without a swaybar... i didnt notice any difference.

Edited by yozsi

yozsi... your pictures are awesome... great reasons to take off the sways and toss them!

mike vancein... cant wait to see what you did?

i do most of my driving on the road and i do perfer a to keep it the way it feels now on the road. see my other cars are all modified sports cars. 1. dinan supercharged M3 2. modified miata for autocross.

so i want to be able to have best of both world situations.

thanks.

coucoui 6

i had disco's on my jeep. they're not as "easy to use" as you imagine.......... believe me. just take the bar off and if oyu feel like you MUST drive like a race car driver, i suggest you drive one of your CARS

• 1 month later...

okay... here is my update... i decided not to go with the disconnect and just manually unbolt my swaybar from the links each time i go offroad. i have some nice pictures of me flexing without bars... its awesome.

and yes, i am using a bunge cord to hold the bar up once i unbolt it from the links.

will update with pictures later.