Adding a rear wind deflector

My 02 LE has no rear wind deflector on the tail gate. Why is that? Was it optional? :shrug:

Anyway, are they hard to add? Is it bolt on, what is involved? I did a search but didn't find the answers...

TIA

Rear window deflectors were optional, and possibly even deleted from later model years, especially on the LE. You can easily order one from the dealer and install it yourself. Unlike the earlier models' factory-installed deflector which mounted to the rear hatch sheetmetal, the accessory deflector bracket replaces the rear glass hinges (same as the QX4). It's a simple bolt-on.

The WD21's deflector replaced the glass hinges as well...

Not all of them. It seems the deflectors available here in Canada are different. They're hard plastic, and the brackets mount to the rear hatch sheetmetal.

Not all of them. It seems the deflectors available here in Canada are different. They're hard plastic, and the brackets mount to the rear hatch sheetmetal.

Mine is like that too, wasnt an original. I think the ones that came with them are metal, where mine looks the same from far away, but it is plastic, like the bug guard on the front. I ordered it from the dealership.

Thanks for the tips guys. So I should be able to go to a wrecker and pull a deflector and bolt it on IF the deflector mounts with the hinges.

Weird that the LEs are less likely to get them - anyone know why? A cleaner look? Or was a rear wiper optional above the deflector?

That GTO deflector looks neat but looks like it is two-sided taped to the paint, right? Not sure if I want that.....

Is there any reason to NOT want a deflector? I thought it would help keep the rear window cleaner, but I don't want to add to problems. :shiftyeyes:

Is the QX4 deflector the same (I assume so, but want to verify).

thx

Edited by BowTied

it will affect your aerodynamics, maybe .1mpg if that

Let's see, crap mileage - .1 = still crap. :D :D :D

Good point though, I had not thought of that. At $4.73/gal for 87, every bit counts!!! :rant2:

Edited by BowTied