just bought a 95 4wd not running.

gene

I ran across this deal and had to buy it. I bought a 1995 model from a friend that is in great shape. It does not run, I suspect the timing belt broke and tore up the engine from what he told me. Everything is supposed to work and it looks like it probably does. No oil leaks underneath and has been off road very little. I got it for $500 and may part it out if I have trouble finding a replacement engine. Not sure yet what model it is but I think it has power everything. After I get it to the house I'll check the engine out and see exactly what happened to it. What recommendation's do you have toward another engine. All I know for now is it has a v6 w/ auto transmission.

thanks!

pull timing belt cover and/or distributor cap and turn it over...if the rotor doesnt turn then the belt is broken but its probably just as easy to pull the cover and see if the belt is there...if not tear it down set #1 to TDC and install the new belt...then run a compression test to see which cylinders are dead...pending the results of that pull the heads and inspect the pistons to make sure they're not cracked...then replace all of the valves and inspect the heads but they're pretty much bullet proof just like the bottom end of these VG's

I broke a belt in my 87 and bent 3 valves...you'll most likely bend exhaust valves...after that you should be good to go...

A 3.3L out of a later model pathy will bolt right on, use your old intake manifolde TB sensors etc so you don't need to update your computer. swap the crank and cam gears over so you can use your original accesories. vg33 motors can be found on the JDM market for less than 2g

thats a lot of work just to get an engine running and driving...3 days max(with a day down for parts mishandling) work on rebuilding the heads granted the pistions/heads aren't trashed which I highly doubt...of course with a respectable amount of mechanical skill