RPM redline on the 3.0

I have a 1990 pathfinder with the 3.0 . Factory tach says redline is 5500. every now and then when i'm off road i don't exactly get it shifted by then. I have a monster tach installed and I noticed that at 7000 rpm my motor is still pulling strong with no valve float. How high have you guys shifted at with no problems. It almost feels like the engine is in its best power range at 4000-7000 rpms. Or is it possible that my monster tach is off? MY factory tach has no needle( stole it for the speedo). Oh and as far as i know it has a stock cam in it. It wasn't done up when i got it. It was factory paint, yak rack and some nerf bars.

Edited by Frankenfinder

Um... your Monster tach is off, probably by not an insignificant amount. Do you have it set for 4, 6, or 8 cylinder operation?

You WILL slam valves at 6500 (if not before - but the DEATH FOR SURE RPM is ~6500) unless you have installed lighter valves and/or higher pressure valve springs.

My guess - you have it set to 4 cylinder operation and it's reading more RPM than it's actually getting.

Edited by GhostPath

Ill have to find a needle to put on my stock tach to find out i guess. My engine has been out before but im pretty sure it wasn't for upgrades. Most people who are into performance work wouldn't have left it so that i could tell it had been out before. At least one would think?

There are some situations when you can go over 6450, but yeah, if you do the thing comes apart.

yea, if you mis-shift or down shift. but there is no way it can go above 6450 rpm's when free revving it or accelerating. unless you have aftermarket ignition or a chip.

New info --- Tach is fine , put it on another rig, it's dead on. So that means your pos 6450 rpm pathy sucks and mine has a cam and some mods i didn't know about. You shouldn't call peoples things crap . I wondered as i see a few guys saying the 3.0 is gutless and mine seams awesome. I have pal with access to a dyno set up. As soon as i can get some time off i'm gonna do it and ill post the print out. Mine does not rev limit. It may in neutral but i'm not gonna test it out. I beat the @!*% out of my wheelers so i'd know if it had it. Oh and fyi the monster tachs (and all others other than the old cable drives)run on a signal from the coil. It makes not a ******* of difference if it is a 4-6- or 8 . Just my two pennies back.

Edited by mzxtreme

LOL, obviously you have noooo clue what you are talking about. Hehe, it matters immensely that you have the tach set to the right number or cylinders. Most engine ignition systems are a "wasted" spark system where it fires each spark plug twice per cycle. Obviously a 4 cylinder would trigger the tach signal less times per minute, and the 8 cylinder would be firing twice as many times as the 4 cylinder.************************** mmmkay?

You'd need to have a JWT, Stillen, or Nismo ECU - unless you got NisTune, then you might be able to change it, but Nistune hasn't been around for very long. And it's pretty obvious if you have any of those three aftermarket ECUs.

Thing is... the only people who ever use that kind of stuff are the boosted guys - the VG30ET and VG33ER powered cars and trucks. The VG heads just *can't* flow enough while normally aspirated to make much power over 5500 or so.

yeh but i'm old so your rambling doesn't affect me. It's not like i'm an 18 yr old newbie. Well any of you washington guys can see it for your self sometime. I will travel for a good run. That is as long as its off road and not some gravel road like the king county guys call 4 wheeling. Oh well let me go buy an imaginary selectable tachometer now . I do know that if anything is wrong with it, It is the fact that its last home was a yota and its used to being part of a failing team. haha

Maybe tonight after work i can make a video from in the cab dogging the truck through the higher rpm's and put it on. If any one does have an old cluster laying around, i would like to buy a needle for my stock tach.

Just use a paperclip and some craft paper to fashion a bodge needle... it'll tell you what you need to know.

I've gotten my truck up to around 6750 rpm before... only once and it was only because I HAD to or I was going to get slammed in the ass by an 18 wheeler. Thankfully, no damage done.

yeh but i'm old so your rambling doesn't affect me. It's not like i'm an 18 yr old newbie. Well any of you washington guys can see it for your self sometime. I will travel for a good run. That is as long as its off road and not some gravel road like the king county guys call 4 wheeling. Oh well let me go buy an imaginary selectable tachometer now . I do know that if anything is wrong with it, It is the fact that its last home was a yota and its used to being part of a failing team. haha

Maybe tonight after work i can make a video from in the cab dogging the truck through the higher rpm's and put it on. If any one does have an old cluster laying around, i would like to buy a needle for my stock tach.

I've refrained from getting deeply involved in this, but you just asked for it.

Hm. "Imaginary" selectable tach?

Let's see.

You say you have a "Monster Tach". That would be the AutoMeter-made one, right?

Here's the instructions for it: http://www.autometer.com/productPDF/1076B.pdf

And, oh, look, here on page 1. A section labelled "CALIBRATION" with instructions on how to wire it up so it reads accurately for different engine cylinder counts. So, yes, it's selectable for the number of cylinders.

Congratulations. **********************************************

Edited by mzxtreme

Do you have an aftermarket ignition? Some like the MSD 6AL have chips so you can select the rev limit. Dunno if it would, but it might override the programmed limit in the ECU if you had that setup.

You people actually run your trucks up that high? I'm afraid to go past 4000.

i've ran mine up to 6 many times. (usually when stuck in reverse and need wheel spin to clear the tires)

at 4k, that engine will just laugh.. no issues.

You people actually run your trucks up that high? I'm afraid to go past 4000.

I run to redline (5500), but not beyond. However, the Z31 300ZX has the same limiter. And I paid a lot of attention to that when I had a Z31 Turbo car.

i've ran mine up to 6 many times. (usually when stuck in reverse and need wheel spin to clear the tires)

at 4k, that engine will just laugh.. no issues.

O rly?

I find that this thing is best on gas when you let it shift at 3200, I've been trying to hyper mile by being really easy on it (letting it shift at 2200-2500) but the mileage hasn't changed as far as i've seen.

So back on topic, what is the safe rpm limit that you guys run at on daily driving? You don't run it to 5500 daily do you?

O rly?

I find that this thing is best on gas when you let it shift at 3200, I've been trying to hyper mile by being really easy on it (letting it shift at 2200-2500) but the mileage hasn't changed as far as i've seen.

So back on topic, what is the safe rpm limit that you guys run at on daily driving? You don't run it to 5500 daily do you?

Dude...if these guys were worried about mileage they'd have bought a Neon. :lol: