rusted front wheel well what to do?

nissan4x4

I have a 88 pathy and where the aiv box used to go,there is a hole in the wheel well on the left side about 3 in. in diameter, can you replace the wheel well or just weld but im thinking it will be expensive to weld because of space limitation under the hood and all the wires in the way that cant be moved. all help will be appreciated.

The previous owner of mine just screwed a piece of sheet metal over a similar hole and left the hole to fester under it. The new sheet is still fine, but whatever it was screwed into has disappeared.

For your's, I would cut back the rust, then hit the area with POR, then rivet or screw a new piece of metal over the hole. By removing the rust before covering te hole you might be saved my fate.

My guess would be condensation collecting in the bottom for 18+ years or so. I fixed mine with fiberglass. Just cut out the old rusty bits and tape a piece of cardboard covered with some aluminum foil on the underside of the hole for a form. Once it dries, sand it a bit and hit it with paint.

• 3 weeks later...