Transmission Problem...?

amo1dun

I was driving to work today and Pathy wouldn't go past 45mph. She is staying stuck in 2nd gear

and doesn't want to shift into 3rd...Im fearing transmission...I have no lights on the dash

Is their a diag. port or...sensors Any insight?

What year Pathfinder? Did you accidentally turn off O/D or something? It should throw a light if it doesn't want to shift on purpose but I couldn't tell you for sure without the year

It's a 89 Pathy auto w/ 84k miles on it....It's not throwing any lights

What RPM were you getting? and I'm assuming Automatic?

Mines an auto and, when it's cold, it sometimes wont' shift into third below 50 MPH. RPM are a LITTLE high (just above 3k) but the OD does engage *shrugs*.

Once it warms up, I can get it to drop into 3rd + OD and sometimes if I go up to 50 I can get the TC to lock up too :)

Might not be anything to worry about.

Edited by Kittamaru

What RPM were you getting? and I'm assuming Automatic?

Mines an auto and, when it's cold, it sometimes wont' shift into third below 50 MPH. RPM are a LITTLE high (just above 3k) but the OD does engage *shrugs*.

Once it warms up, I can get it to drop into 3rd + OD and sometimes if I go up to 50 I can get the TC to lock up too :)

Might not be anything to worry about.

No bro...Im worried, I know she doesn't shift like that.

She has no power @ 40 mph maybe 3500 rpm...and she's staying in 2nd.

The fluid is fine(no burnt smell or shavings) and she has always had a proper maintenance schedule...

Wouldn't I get a "power"light if she was in failsafe or...(Isn't failsafe reverse & 2nd)?

Hm... that's odd. Try having the codes pulled anyway.

Where do you live? Eg, state. If it's near any of our more advanced members, they might be able to help you.

I live just outside Hartford, CT...

She will go thru the gears once normally...

Then, 1st to 2nd and stay...I have to manually downshift or come to a complete stop to start out in 1st.

If i try to stay cruising in 2nd ...the rpm skyrockets w/ no acceleration or power. I've been babying this pup

since i got her 7 months ago, and am beginning the process of getting lubed up to take an anal invasion

from the local trans shop

No more auto's! :stickwack:

I dunno what to tell ya mate... my auto is goin great...

What tranny oil do you use? I know there's something about brass fittings in the tranny that can be damaged by some modern trans oil...

I dunno what to tell ya mate... my auto is goin great...

What tranny oil do you use? I know there's something about brass fittings in the tranny that can be damaged by some modern trans oil...

I think thats the 5 speed. I believe for the auto you should be using Dexron III ATF. At least, thats what the shop put in mine when they flushed it.

89'Pathfinder 4x4 84K miles Auto (you can see a pic of the truck in the "introduce yourself" topic..Hello from CT thread)

I was just browsing the forum and read alot of things on the Auto's. I'm having a little trouble understanding the Auto Trans

Diagnosis thread(Depress the accelerator fully w/truck on or off?/?) Anyways...I also was reading about the insufficient

cooling the trans gets and what not...I'm going to get her down to the trans shop sometime this week...around Hartford CT.

Well my questions....

* If I opt for the rebuild..2-3grand im guessing :( Should I do a cooling system service...(read about radiator clogging with auto???)

* Is adding the shift kit to the trans a good idea?

* Aux. trans cooler?

OR

*What to look or check in a junkyard transmission...????? I think I located one closeby with 115k miles on it for $500.

* If I opt for a junkyard install..What type of service other than a drop & Install will be needed??? Power flush? New filter?

fluid?.....Cooling etc????

Estimates:

* Complete Rebuild w/ 2yr 24k mile warranty, Shift Kit & Cooler...etc- Guessing anywhere from $2200-$3000

or

* Junkyard tranny w/ 115k miles 30 day warranty-$500 + cooler an dservice..etc for trans Drop & Install $600-1200 - $16 1700

What do you think?

Edited by amo1dun

• 1 year later...

Well, I'm going for the 3rd option, Rebuild it yourself :D

I have 2 Pathys, both with shot transmissions. The 93 went bang and lost all drive.

The 91 whines loudly and sometimes goes into limp mode.

In limp mode she wont shift until 4-5k RPM unless I flip the "hold" switch on, then it goes into the next gear :blink:

Sorry I can't help but I am rebuilding the 93's trans 1st as that's my DD.

It'll be a while before I tackle the 91 and find out what wrong.

does that yr have electronic shift or whatever its called?? maybe you just need a new alternator.

I know when my 93 needed and alt, i had the same shifting problem... my alt wasnt making enuff juice to shift the gears.

That's a good question... I think the 89 uses vacuum to shift? Check your ECU for codes... might not be throwing a light, but may still have a code stored. Worth a shot, right?

Also, try disengaging OD, shifting the rocker switch into Power mode... uhm... yeah, see if any of those help :)