where can i get a decent bull guard with plate?

Coucoui6

do what i did.... buy a smittybuilt for a yota (mid 80's) and "modify" it to make it uber strong... hehe

I'm starting to fimly belive that the w/d21 croud is best off buying 80's toyota 4runner/pickup parts and adapting them rather than waste time energy and money trying to find nissan specific parts!

I'm starting to fimly belive that the w/d21 croud is best off buying 80's toyota 4runner/pickup parts and adapting them rather than waste time energy and money trying to find nissan specific parts!

well, lemme put it like this.... i paid $100 for the smittybuilt from transworldmoto (ben) on the forums.... i asked smittybuilt how much for a pathy...... $450 :blink:

yota front ends seem to be of similar dimentions, width wise and such, so with VERY LITTLE mods, i have a bulletproof bumper...

Doug, what welding did ya have to do for install, and can you get us some more pics. Would like to see how it looks aside from the one pic on the website.

I'll get some pics and post them ASAP. You have to butt weld 2 lower mounts on the lower parts of bumper after you fit it up on the Kennesaw. The steel is pretty thick; 3/16 I think so I stick welded it probably 12" of welding in all.

Doug

I'll get some pics and post them ASAP. You have to butt weld 2 lower mounts on the lower parts of bumper after you fit it up on the Kennesaw. The steel is pretty thick; 3/16 I think so I stick welded it probably 12" of welding in all.

Doug

Of, I forgot you also have to weld the stock bumper mounts to the top of the KM bumper

Doug

I really want to thank everyone who posted their experience on this thread... its not very fun playing with a car that no one is interested in or to perserve it. now.... my other two hobbies are my miata and bmw M3... the forums are huge with all types of enthusiest.

as for my pathfinder... i dont care to make it pretty just functionally strong. so far me and my little brother have a small competition. 4x4 competition. he lives in las vegas and i live in temecula. so we don't get to go off road very often but when we do. it great fun! all the trash talking begins... as a little boy ... my bro and i used to trash talk with our bmx bikes.... then in college it was mountain bikes... and now its 4x4's or $x$'s.

my brother has a 98 toyota 4runner that has 3" suspension lift, rancho shocks, and big 265/70/16 BFG tires. on my last encounter, i only had a 2" cheap lift and crappy 30" tires. but i totally out climb him. i was going up small atv trails that he was getting stuck and loosing wheel traction.

so now i'm getting really for the next event. i have better (newer) 31" tires with abit more lift (1/2" upper control arm spacer, re-indexed torsion bars) and with my new bumper better approach and decent angle.

thanks,

coucoui 6

Edited by Coucoui6

Okay .... here is an update ..;.. sorry, i'm at work so no pictures to post, but my new bumper is super strong and ugly. very square with strong angles. my skid plate is also about 3/16" steel at is welded from the bottom of my bumper to the frame rails.

i do have one consern. the body mounts are exposed and unprotected ... i know ... in factoy form, it was only covered by a thin piece of metal before and for looks only. but now i'm concerned that i may hit it. my new skid plate is only the width of the frame rails on each side of the pathfinder.

do you guys think i need to cover it up with some steel for protection?

thanks,

coucoui 6

ps i will post pictures later after i get home.

Edited by Coucoui6

if i am getting a visual of what you are talking about correct, no, you don't need a skid plate all the way across. some prefer it, but it is not crucial to your pathy's survival. if oyu plan on betaing it up THAT BAD. you may wanna think about SAS anyway....

did he leave room on the skid plate for you to remove the oil drain plug?

oh yeah, i forgot the part about..... your tires need to turn......

Edited by Slick

sorry, i'm trying to get some pictures on this tread but not successful. i shot the pixs on my camera's lowest settings but still ..... i don't get it.

you have to host them through sites like photobucket. you can't DL them direct from a cam or puter anymore. if you click the "slicks pics" link tot he right of my sig pics, you can get yerself a photobucket account

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=14047

Edited by Slick

i do have one consern. the body mounts are exposed and unprotected ... i know ... in factoy form, it was only covered by a thin piece of metal before and for looks only. but now i'm concerned that i may hit it. my new skid plate is only the width of the frame rails on each side of the pathfinder.

do you guys think i need to cover it up with some steel for protection?

It should be fine, Mine ar prtty exposed on my 88, but haven't gotten near hitting the mounts ever.

if i am getting a visual of what you are talking about correct, no, you don't need a skid plate all the way across. some prefer it, but it is not crucial to your pathy's survival. if oyu plan on betaing it up THAT BAD. you may wanna think about SAS anyway....

did he leave room on the skid plate for you to remove the oil drain plug?

oh yeah, i forgot the part about..... your tires need to turn......

the skid plate does not extent down that far. it is only to the frame rails. so about a foot in height from the bumper to the frame rails. i can still take the original protective plate off so it does not cover my drain plug. and i still have full turn of my wheels.

and your right i'm dont go offroad that hard. i just didn't want to damage my body mount and body alignment anymore that what i've already done. and i did that (body damage) with my old bumper. boy did i come close to damaging my AC radiator. ofcourse.... that could have also lead to my radiator damage too.

so i guess my original intent is accomplished.

If anyone needs custom tube work done (bumpers) and you're in So Cal Check out Yota Masters in Corona. tell them I sent you there... they're awesome.

I originaly thought Coucoui6 was looking for something specifically off the shelf...sorry man.

I wanna get a So. Cal Big Bear run together as well.... so ya'll betta not go w/o me :D

[[checks so cal section for proposed trail runs]]

If anyone needs custom tube work done (bumpers) and you're in So Cal Check out Yota Masters in Corona. tell them I sent you there... they're awesome.

I originaly thought Coucoui6 was looking for something specifically off the shelf...sorry man.

I wanna get a So. Cal Big Bear run together as well.... so ya'll betta not go w/o me :D

put me on the big bear run list.... i've been waiting to go with a group.... a pathy group.

thanks,

I'm up for a Big Bear Run!!! Let me know!! The pic below is my Pathy just past Wilbur's Grave (Big Bear).

:beer: Boot

Hi OP,

how thick is the skid plate? looks kinda thin to me, well as long as it works, I guess. it'll be nice if they extended the upper part of the plate for that extra protection that you are looking for.

Here is my question, since there's an abundance of JEEP bumpers, why can't we just use the bumpers for a wrangler or the cherokee, the box one . then just fab up a mount for it. I was at 4WP an they really have nice bumpers with winch plate/with bars/with a sink, everything.

OP, could you get a shot of the mounting tabs that they used to mount the bumper? Thanks

Here is my question, since there's an abundance of JEEP bumpers, why can't we just use the bumpers for a wrangler or the cherokee, the box one . then just fab up a mount for it. I was at 4WP an they really have nice bumpers with winch plate/with bars/with a sink, everything.

Very easily done, but it will probably cost you half again as much as the bumper cost to begin with to have a shop custom fab mounts for you.