The 6th spark plug

daopi

I want to change the spark plugs at my 97 Pathfinder, but the 6th one scares me. I hate working blind. Is it enough to trust the kit included with the car for changing the spark plugs? Can you give me some hints?

Best hint for first time I can give is depending on how tall you are get a chair to stand on and lean as far towards the plug as possible, you still wont be able to see it but once you use the kit with the truck you will feel when you get on the plug, then look at the position it is in related to the firewall and try to remember that. That is what I did and it worked just fine.

I find that the Nissan-supplied tool is PERFECT for the task! if i remember correctly, i think the shorter of the 2 tools is for plug 6. I can't imagine any store-bought tool that would make it easier, any other tool would probably make it harder.

There is even a small notch in the firewall to clear the tool. You can maybe use that as an idea of where to hold the tool.

I stand on a step stool and lean on the engine so I can get my hands down there to pull the plug wire off. I think i used a blanket on the engine last time for cushion.

I also find the tools supplied with the Pathfinder to be about perfect for the job. So much so that I went to a junk yard and got a set for my Xterra since Nissan didn't find the need to supply the same plug wrenches in the X.

It is so easy with the short plug wrench than it is amazing, they even supply a little bent rod to turn the wrench with.

Tom

Don't go in blind.. Get a mirror. Thats what I always do and I always get on it the first time instead of trying to play with it for 10 minutes.

Once you get the tool on it it will work fine. It took me some time to get it done. My hand didn't fit and I got scapes on my hand. Its not easy but after a few tries you will get it. I actually climbed on top of the engine. Also what i did find out that my 97 Pathinder only works good with NGK regular plugs. I tried better NGK's and bosch and my truck would backfire.

Have fun!!!!!

shouldnt have any problems, i have bosch plat/iri blend as thats all they had in stock and no problems

I had a problem with 2 types of Bosch and 1 type of NGK's. I was lucky that Advance Discount Auto took them back. The manager at the store said since I have over 150000 miles that I should use the orginals. Who knows maybe its just my truck.